Author Topic: Vht231d minimum spraying temperature to cure  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Vht231d minimum spraying temperature to cure
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 10:58:37 PM »
After you have baked the block make sure you cook a few sausages in the oven afterwards to mask the aroma. ;D ;D ;D

My dear wife is out from ten thirty to six, enough time to bake with the kitchen windows open and leave no traces of smell. Golden opportunity strike while the oven is hot 😂 She's lovely in every way and has a good sense of smell so i might be rueing doing it this evening, Ted ...hope not but the evil deed will have been successfully done ✅

Flowers and chocolates on the table for when she gets home, they mask all bad smells and quell anger. Happy wife, happy life  (and good luck in the Bake-off)  ;)
If I did that, she'd be convinced I was having an affair.

Offline Honda enthusiast

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2024, 09:49:09 AM »
After a little wait to make sure, dear wife was not coming back I carried in my lower case and...... 😖😜 It wouldn't fit!!! Our AEG oven has a name he's called Herman the German ( AEG) and is approaching thirty years old...ovens must have got bigger over the years...

I've tried the fingernail test and it's fully dry so I'm going to try heating it with the two 1kw Anest Iwata short wave infrared lamps I have....better than nought 😁😞

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2024, 09:20:25 PM »
My 500 casing fitted in our AEG oven just fine here is the proof in the pudding.PXL_20230117_140852031 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

As part of my domestic negociations I obtained planning permission to use the oven as long as I cleaned it afterwards.
I did not want discolouration of silver engine paint so cleaned the oven first. After reading the destructions  I saw it had a Pyrotechnic Cleaning Cycle. The smell of this cleaning cycle was truy terrible, after manually cleaning the racks with the oven looking brand new I had to submit to further concessions. I agreed to do the bake off whilst Whilst Wendy was at work!

Result. 8) 8) 8)

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 10:47:04 PM »
...ovens must have got bigger over the years...
Why not seek help from your local social circle, one of your mates must have a bigger oven!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Honda enthusiast

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2024, 08:23:28 PM »
My 500 casing fitted in our AEG oven just fine here is the proof in the pudding.PXL_20230117_140852031 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

As part of my domestic negociations I obtained planning permission to use the oven as long as I cleaned it afterwards.
I did not want discolouration of silver engine paint so cleaned the oven first. After reading the destructions  I saw it had a Pyrotechnic Cleaning Cycle. The smell of this cleaning cycle was truy terrible, after manually cleaning the racks with the oven looking brand new I had to submit to further concessions. I agreed to do the bake off whilst Whilst Wendy was at work!

Result. 8) 8) 8)
I'm truly jealous , Ted, well done at least you came clean !

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2024, 11:00:21 PM »
Four months ago I took the engine back to bare metal. I painted my cases with a light coat of etch primer, then 2 light coats of Simoniz VHT silver and then 2 light coats of clear engine lacquer. I was concerned about cooling, so I only applied 2 light coats of the Simoniz VHT silver to the cylinder barrel fins, no primer orr lacquer. I didn't oven bake any of it.

On the first wash, after a couple of rides, I noticed some paint coming off the cylinder barrel, but not the cases, when I towel dried it. So I've been blow drying ever since.

This week, having had about 20 heat cycles through the motor, I tested the fins and they now seem fine, no paint transfer. I expect, without the oven treatment, it needed a few heat cycles and some time to fully cure. I'm hopeful it'll be robust now.

Offline Honda enthusiast

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2024, 09:40:01 AM »
Four months ago I took the engine back to bare metal. I painted my cases with a light coat of etch primer, then 2 light coats of Simoniz VHT silver and then 2 light coats of clear engine lacquer. I was concerned about cooling, so I only applied 2 light coats of the Simoniz VHT silver to the cylinder barrel fins, no primer orr lacquer. I didn't oven bake any of it.

On the first wash, after a couple of rides, I noticed some paint coming off the cylinder barrel, but not the cases, when I towel dried it. So I've been blow drying ever since.

This week, having had about 20 heat cycles through the motor, I tested the fins and they now seem fine, no paint transfer. I expect, without the oven treatment, it needed a few heat cycles and some time to fully cure. I'm hopeful it'll be robust now.
Yes, that's how I'm going with mine, from past experience it's the front of the engine which is exposed to water spray and road dirt so I'll try and harden that up with the heat lamp....no rush, I'll get there and like you say the heat cycles will do the rest. I'm still considering doing the outside breeze block oven method by Ashmoto.
As a matter of interest do you have a Moto Martin 6?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 09:46:16 AM by Honda enthusiast »

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2024, 10:42:42 PM »
No, my name's Martin and I have a K6 CB750! :)

Online Mike_Berkshire

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2024, 08:12:06 PM »
I only had the head and cylinder block off, so I couldn't put it in an oven!

I took it back to bare metal with brass brushes in a Dremel.
Thanks for posting this. I am thinking of doing something similar with my 550 rebuild. I plan to rebuild the top end but not the bottom end which seems fairly sound apart from the paint. Do you have any tips for removing the old paint other than using a dremel & brass brushes? I was thinking of using a Scotchbrite pad or wheel to prep the surface before etch primer.

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2024, 11:00:15 PM »
I don't think a scotchbrite pad will be aggressive enough. May be wrong, but I would expect that to be a long job and lots of pads. 240 grit wet and dry, used dry, might be better, but the creases and corners will be tricky, if you try to get all the paint off. I found the dremel, used with the flexible extension head and a range of brass brushes, worked quickly, got into nooks and crannies and didn't damage the alloy. I then went over once with some wet and dry to key it. Took me 2 to 3 hours to do and another hour to brush clear all the little brass tines off the floor. You do go through the brass brushes in that job.

Offline Honda enthusiast

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024, 08:51:14 AM »
It might look a bit daunting before you start but it works well with wet and dry...if you can find somewhere to soda blasting it that's the best bet...

Online Mike_Berkshire

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2024, 12:44:26 PM »
I don't think a scotchbrite pad will be aggressive enough. May be wrong, but I would expect that to be a long job and lots of pads. 240 grit wet and dry, used dry, might be better, but the creases and corners will be tricky, if you try to get all the paint off. I found the dremel, used with the flexible extension head and a range of brass brushes, worked quickly, got into nooks and crannies and didn't damage the alloy. I then went over once with some wet and dry to key it. Took me 2 to 3 hours to do and another hour to brush clear all the little brass tines off the floor. You do go through the brass brushes in that job.
Thanks. Im pondering over my engine before I take it out the frame next weekend. When you painted the assembled bottom end how did you deal with the bolts in the casings? Did you remove them in sections and re-torque after painting or mask them in some way? Thanks, mike

Offline Martin6

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2024, 11:14:45 PM »
Mike, I replied to your PM. In short, masking tape pushed to a crisp edge with a Stanley/razor blade. Good crisp result, until you get a microscope on it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal