Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 8352 times)

mclaviano

Alternator
« on: August 07, 2005, 03:16:04 AM »
Somebody stole my alternator on the street and I didn't notice it until I started the bike and oil spilled everywhere out of the half-inch diameter hole at the very bottom of the alternator.   I ordered a replacement alternator w/ bolts and gasket but wonder if I am missing a gasket or stopper to the oil line which runs into the bottom of the alternator.  I don't see any traces of oil inside the alternator so it seems strange that an oil line would run into the alternator at this location.  Or is it just a vent?  I  checked the manualsand it doesn't show anything.  Anyone know if I need something to plug the oil hole?

Thank You!

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re:Alternator
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 03:59:46 PM »
Hi mclaviano, What a pain:(, Upload or link to a small photo - I checked in that manual I have and there is know mention os breathers there.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

mclaviano

Re:Alternator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 02:50:06 PM »
Thank you for your help, and sorry I never got a chance to take a photo.  I ended up finding in the microfiche that there is in fact an oil plug located here.  Of course it is no longer available.  Luckily I searched the NYC street where I had it parked and found it on the edge of the gutter!  So once the gasket comes in (still available) I should be up and running.  I have another conundrum but will post with a new thread.

Thanks again,

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal