Author Topic: top end oil feed problem  (Read 3716 times)

Offline adriangsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
top end oil feed problem
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »
Hi all,
I've had to strip my engine down (750 F2) as it got a little warm and i thought had partially seized whilst i was syncing the carbs and tweaking the mixture settings.
So engine out of bike, cam cover off and the right hand side of the camshaft was bone dry.
removed and cam tower and end of cam shaft have worn away and torn each other up.
continued top end strip down and found no further signs of damage.
however there are some metal fragments in the sump pan so think a full strip down is needed now to find the cause.
so gutted as i was 90% complete on my build.

So my question is where and how does oil enter the top end of the engine? and why would only the right hand end be dry? the rest was well covered with oil and never had the oil pressure light flicker at all during running.
Also now need another camshaft and cam tower. my cam shaft is stamped up R2.
Triumph Thruxton 2004
Honda CB750F1 1976
Honda CB400F   1976 (current project)

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: top end oil feed problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:37:32 PM »
Is one of your oil metering jets blocked

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »
yep, sounds like a blocked head jet. Cam towers can be line bored but, you have to metal spray and grind the cam to fit ;)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »
Yep these bad boys snapped my cam. Pull them out and check them. A is out. B is in place, so easy to miss them.

I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline adriangsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 06:40:59 AM »
Thanks all.
Will check these out this evening.
Triumph Thruxton 2004
Honda CB750F1 1976

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 06:50:58 AM »
yep it has to be oil jets, a very common problem, the engine has to be spotless when rebuilding, and always check the jets are in and clear, also worth turning the engine over by starter or hand before running to see that oil is making it up the top, any future engines that i build will be bench run to save any hassles which require engine out
pete

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »
As stated the smallest particle of gasket debris will block those jets as will any silicone gasket that gets there

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 11:12:04 PM »
You wouldn't see this loss of flow with the oil pressure light in any normal event.

The jets as far as I know are there to maintain the oil pressure to the crank bearings which is measured by the oil pressure switch. Past those oil restrictions is essentially a low pressure area that leaks out slowly from the cam bearings and leaves a pool of oil for the cam lobes to dip into.

The blockage of one or both jets is likely to have come from one of the gasket faces during assembly as it would not usually pass through first the oil pickup screen then the oil pump rotors and then via oil filter to get to the jets. so you are really looking at maybe joint face of crankcase or base gasket of barrels or the head gasket as the primary suspect.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 11:26:03 PM »
I always crank the motor over on the starter to check if the oil is reaching the camshaft.   I feel your pain though.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline adriangsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 06:37:30 AM »
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies and advice,
That jet was definitely blocked with some gasket debris. now kicking myself for not ensuring all was clean.
Took all top end apart and now decided on a full rebuild of the engine as detected some play in the main bearings.
More work and new territory for me as never done any bottom end work on an engine before!

Still looking for a replacement cam tower and camshaft ready for the rebuild if anyone has one lying around in a box of spares!
Heres hoping for better luck this time round.

Triumph Thruxton 2004
Honda CB750F1 1976

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 06:43:34 AM »
You may need to spread your search for a cam tower far and wide. This has been a common problem over the years so supply of these parts is not great. Took me a month to locate one for mine. Not just the jets that block either, check that the drillings through the cam tower are clear as they block at the cam journals. Good luck with the rebuild.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »
I have one spare 750 cam tower but not giving it away for free on here, as I normally would, 'cos it cost me in the 1st place !

If you are interested PM me but I won't have access to measure/mic it up  it up till Tuesday now

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
You are lucky you don't have this type of CB750K jet, which doesn't even have a part number ;)

Offline adriangsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 02:26:43 PM »
Well, I found the cause of the jet blockage today.
one single grain of sand stuck in the top of the jet!
This was so hard i thought someone had snapped a drill in the jet at first.
it took some shifting but eventually came out.
Put it under a microscope at work and a grain of sand is what it looks like, which is possible as the outside of the head was caked in it when i got the bike.
Just goes to show how careful and clean you need to be when reassembling one of these engines!

Now has anyone got a cam for an F2 engine and is it different from an F1 or K series cam?
Triumph Thruxton 2004
Honda CB750F1 1976

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »
Any cam will fit and run but the F2 had the most aggressive profile after the original CB750

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal