Author Topic: CR750 replica build  (Read 16200 times)

Offline CR21

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CR750 replica build
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2019, 10:15:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!

Rob - it certainly did amazing sound  :) Yes they do look a little home-cast!

Phil - your rep is a lovely bike and you have done it remarkably quickly, its great that we have all met through these builds and have managed to help one another. Thanks Phil with a bit of luck it will turn out alright!

Cheers,
CR21

Offline CR21

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »
Hi all,

I am gathering parts at the moment for a push on the rolling chassis.

I have a week off soon and the plan is to focus on the rolling chassis to progress that along so that I can properly start the dry build.

Hopefully I can kick some life back into this thread!

Oil catch tank:

A little progress on the oil catch tank, this is located underneath the seat of the works CR750.

This is the type of tank I will be replicating:

Thanks to Eric for the info!

Modelled up in CAD a while ago:

I ran a 3D print off in a draft resin (quick and cheap! around 2 hrs build time) to check fitment and clearances before fabricating in Aluminium. As the part is going to be made from thin aluminium I thickened the walls for the 3D print and split it into to pieces, for ease of printing:

I have seen a few different types of tanks, so will do a little more research before starting!

Cheers,
CR21
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:21:04 PM by CR21 »

Offline CR21

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2019, 10:33:54 PM »
The oil catch tank or 'Sniffer box' as some people call it, is quite the point of controversy across forums!

The one that I drew up and 3D printed was a copy of a copy. This was created over in France by a chap who has built a few replicas, however it does not seem to be as accurate as I originally thought. Another CR guru (thanks if you are reading!) has steered me towards a more correct design, based on some old images and notes from the factory bikes.

It looks a little different now!

Ref image 1

Ref image 2

Apparently two versions of this tank were available.

The side breather/exhaust was apparently what was at Daytona and on the works bikes. I imagine this was to do with the short seat.

And the rear breather on the kit bikes:

As I am creating a CR works style bike replicating the Daytona winning bike, I will be going for the side exit catch tank variant. I will probably make up a 'buck' to create the radii on the edges, and roll a piece in the centre to match, then spring bend the inlet/outlets. The original notes show some baffles as well so it would be good to build these in.

It is so difficult with these bikes to be 'accurate' as the bikes that were at Daytona were all slightly different, the 'kit' bikes had a variety superseded parts across the years and of course there are a few replicas out there.

Another can of worms is the oil tank brackets  ::)

Cheers,
CR21

Offline Napoleonb

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
Can't wait to see this part getting shape!

Offline CR21

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
Can't wait to see this part getting shape!

Thanks Nap!

Cheers,
CR21