Author Topic: speedo rev counter  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Elveytwin

• View Profile
speedo rev counter
« on: May 28, 2016, 11:16:48 PM »
Has anyone taken speedo or rev counter apart to refurbish the faces

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Re: speedo rev counter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 12:19:46 AM »
I tried but couldn't figure out how to get the cases off😂😂
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:04:48 AM »
It can be done but it is not easy, there is some one on the forum who will do it for you but I can't remember the name.
You have to uncrimp the chrome band and recrimp it afterwards

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 08:36:20 AM »
It can be done but it is not easy, there is some one on the forum who will do it for you but I can't remember the name.
You have to uncrimp the chrome band and recrimp it afterwards

I think it's a guy called Peter under the handle Kent400
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:54:52 AM »
That rings a bell

Offline Elveytwin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
Ok thanks for reply's

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »
As Bryanj stated taking these gauges apart isn't too easy and has to be done with great care not mention getting them back together leaving no evidence they have been apart. I've repaired/restored more of them than I could recall but this year alone it's in excess of a dozen. I can provide details of how it's done via email. You do however need to be confident in your own abilities before you undertake the task. Dial face overlays are available and I can provide details of where the best ones can be obtained.

Offline MeilakJ

• SOHC Member
  • Life is what you make it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
Hi Kent400

IS it possible that you send instructions to me as well please ?

Email is meilakj@gmail.com

Also from were are te new faces available please? BTW Mine is a CB550 K0

Thanks
John

Offline Elveytwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 10:37:54 AM »
Hello Kent 400 I would appreciate it if you could send me details of rev counter dismantle and supply of new faces email f.croucher@yahoo.co.uk kind regards Frank

Offline Aly-b

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »
Hi Kent400

IS it possible that you send instructions to me as well please ?

Email is meilakj@gmail.com

Also from were are te new faces available please? BTW Mine is a CB550 K0

Thanks
John

Hi,
There is an American guy on youtube rebuilding a Honda cb750.
"Hackaweektv"
On episode 40 it shows him rebuilding a revcounter with a new face.
It may give you an idea of what to do.
Hope this helps,Aly.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:23:02 AM by Aly-b »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
I think 750 is different to 500

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:15:45 PM »
Elveytwin has a CB550 Four so should have the larger Nippon Seiki gauges, the guide I have only covers the smaller Seiki gauges. I have written one covering the CB750F Denso ones that was published in the VJMC magazine Tansha a few years ago. A copy is still available from the club archive. Unfortunately my copy was lost when a computer failed. 

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 08:08:26 AM »
Useful...see at 9:00 minutes ..Don't you just love Dino .. he shows it warts and all . It's Ok for the likes of me blabbering on but to commit to video is something else. He's much loved on the USA SOHC  site before anyone takes a pop at him  :)

I would use a big Jubilee style clamp to hold the 'form' of the bezel during removal. Plus someone on here had found a drainpipe fitting instead of his bit of wood with the correct ID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZ0_vpYSb8
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:16:08 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 05:57:37 PM »
Just been watching some of his vid, great to pick up tips from him

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »
Watching the video I wonder if any eagle eyed forum members who have ever had a gauge apart noticed when the guy was assembling the tacho the rubber seal around the inner body wasn't refitted fair to say it has to be carefully pushed under the band and can be a bit difficult. Obviously the purpose of the rubber seal is to prevent ingress of water and once compressed prevents the possibility of the painted body being loose on the base. All Nippon and Seiki gauges of that type have a seal in that location.

Water getting into a gauge can cause some serious damage very quickly, the image show a gauge I took apart today but fortunately once the rust flakes the mechanism is O.K. The water ingress was caused by damage to the rim of the body that distorted the rubber where the glass fits. Maybe a pressure washer was used on the bike at some point.

Folding he band back using pliers isn't an easy way, get the band edge to pushed down a little by the means shown and then use a bench drill press with a piece of small round stock in the chuck to push the band edge down. Even one of those drill stands in which you can put a power drill in will do the job and there is no risk of plier marks on the band. It will also look a lot neater on the underside. As Ash mentioned a hose clip around the band before removal, you only need to left the edge a small amount before you can get some round nose pliers with one jaw on the inside edge of the band, and the other on the outside edge of the hose clip to bring the edge to vertical. Once the band edge touches the hose clip the base will come away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal