Author Topic: Candy Painting a Frame  (Read 1738 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Candy Painting a Frame
« on: May 14, 2016, 08:14:42 AM »
I inquired about candy painting my CD125A frame in red with a well known painter in the UK and he told me  £85 -> 120 depending on condition /amount of prep required. This surprised me somewhat cos I was kind of thinking more like 400  based on the cost of painting a tank in candy colour. I questioned if that was for paint or PC and it was deffo paint.

Anyone else got experience / prices to share.

I reckon the SS125/CD125A was the first Honda model  to use candy paint (not metallic). Anyone else cite an earlier Honda  example pre-1967?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Painting a Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
Seriously?? That seems very cheap. Does that include primer and paint materials? Bite his hand off ash....

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »
My chop is busy undergoing painting right now. From sandblasted metal to primer, silver metalic undercoat with silver flake, topped off in blue candy. For frame, tank, rear mudguard, oil tank and mustang fuel tank, including filling frame welds etc. Grand total of 1k. Making my eyes water a bit but it will look stunning when finished. :)
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »
Yes ash bite his whole arm off , that's an awesome price

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »
Yes ash bite his whole arm off , that's an awesome price

Well his arm is a bit of a problem at the mo . He's got to go into hospital to sort it out..right in the middle of doing my 2 CB250K paint sets  :( :'(  Don't think price includes paint but i will check.

Had to break off the 500K0 project to strip the CD125A down and bead blast so I can get it in his queue. Shipping a frame to Menno would  be  very expensive .

Removing the air filter housing was a bitch.. almost needed Nurse Julies midwifery skills. looking good though finely bead blasted for paint. Proving to be a good buy.. never seen oil so clean in an import bike engine.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »
That looks like a cd50 frame I have laying around.

Would it only be the frame or also the rear bridge?

With a cd50 it would be tank, fork ears, headlight case, rear bridge, frame, framecovers, rear fender.

Tanks are often more expensive since they need a lot of prep work.
A frame mostly doesn't have dents and so on. And no lining work.
They need however a layer of clearcoat or two.

120 pound would come to 150 euro.

Well I would have to think about that.
I have no clue what shipment would cost.
What are the measurements?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 02:17:06 AM »
That looks like a cd50 frame I have laying around.

Would it only be the frame or also the rear bridge?

With a cd50 it would be tank, fork ears, headlight case, rear bridge, frame, framecovers, rear fender.

Tanks are often more expensive since they need a lot of prep work.
A frame mostly doesn't have dents and so on. And no lining work.
They need however a layer of clearcoat or two.

120 pound would come to 150 euro.

Well I would have to think about that.
I have no clue what shipment would cost.
What are the measurements?

It is frame /swinging arm/chaincases candy red  , tank candy red (no striping etc) , fork rears candy red, shock tops (plastic) candy red, headlamp shell candy red, side covers (plastic) candy red  Front & rear plastic mudguards  ( fenders) are in Honda Cloud Silver. We do have a subsidiary near Stuttgart and we ship back & forth to Germany all of the time.  So possibly I could get a shipping deal, but still fear it is going to be expensive due to bulk/weight. Obviously everything will be blasted clean with 0/50 grade glass beads and I think the tank is dent free (still in Japan). Sounds a lot of parts but they are all very tiny !  :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:50:14 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
 ???

It is a bit confusing to me. The topic starts about a frame.
Now it is about 10 parts in candy ruby red and 2 parts in silver.

Most of the time smaller parts are not easier to paint.

I cannot do that for 150 euro. Paint would already be more expensive.

Shipment however could be easier. I have someone living near Stuttgart and he could pick it up and bring it to me.

And to be honest: I really would advise not to sandblast it with whatever. Please let me chemically clean the metal parts.
It is not expensive and you will never have any build up on rest parts of whatever you use to clean anywhere.
And sandblasting is never 100% accurate in my experience. There is always paint remaining somewhere.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:07:53 AM »
???

It is a bit confusing to me. The topic starts about a frame.
Now it is about 10 parts in candy ruby red and 2 parts in silver.

Most of the time smaller parts are not easier to paint.

I cannot do that for 150 euro. Paint would already be more expensive.

Shipment however could be easier. I have someone living near Stuttgart and he could pick it up and bring it to me.

And to be honest: I really would advise not to sandblast it with whatever. Please let me chemically clean the metal parts.
It is not expensive and you will never have any build up on rest parts of whatever you use to clean anywhere.
And sandblasting is never 100% accurate in my experience. There is always paint remaining somewhere.

I wasn't asking you you to do it for that price! I was merely informing what the total job is that I will be requiring from one or more painters. I bead blast the parts with really,really fine beads that are clean ( never used on other parts) This is what Andrew Parnaby suggested I do. No disrespect but he has been painting parts for John Wyatt, David Silver, top magazine restos's in the UK for many years and has no website and never advertises and has a three month waiting list.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:09:50 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »
Ok, I get it  ;D

To be honest, I think I would sandblast still if this huge cleaning company would not be in my area.

My experience:

The problem with sandblasting is this: the material (whatever you use) gets blown with force in every crack and opening.
So if you have a sheet metal frame (not a pipeframe) there are areas  where the sand or glass will build up and not easy to clean. (read impossible)
When in time it gets wet it will start to rust really fast.

I don't want to contradict anyone who has a very good reputation in what he does but somewhere this, putting your bike in a sandstorm and than paint it, seems not the best way to go.

If you paint with sir Parnaby I would follow his advise.
But If you want me to paint stuff, well yust send it as it is and I'll have it chemicaly cleaned.  :)

About your cd.. I would have to think about a price on that. It's a lot of work.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »
What I  actually do Menno is strip the paint first with the 'banned for private use',  Methylene Chloride based stripper and then lightly bead blast the corroded areas. The other 500K0 tank I have here which I am sending you sometime , I hardly had to blast at all because the surface underneath the paint was pretty near perfect. I like to pre-strip paint of tanks because I often have several tanks and like to determine which is best to spend the paint money on. Some tanks have hidden horrors underneath the paint like large areas of filler and quite often the best one is not necessarily the best of the bunch to have restored after stripping .

The CD125 tank is still in Japan but when it arrives I won't strip it until I have sent you some shots of it. Perhaps I could get the frame  and swinging arm & chaincases  done in the UK and you could quote me on the  tank and smaller bits. I have no particular preference between yourself and Andrew ...you are both excellent painters who I would have no problem recommending on these forums I am on. You possibly have the edge on turnaround times.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 11:10:48 PM »
Please be aware that if you want the paint on the cd be exactly the same on all the parts you best paint it all together in one paintjob.
It is the best and only way to avoid colour differences.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal