Author Topic: New discovery  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Jontyp

• View Profile
New discovery
« on: June 02, 2016, 10:47:20 AM »
Well, who knew that you had to drain the oil to change the front sprocket. How weird. Unless, of course, I'm being ridiculously stupid (it wouldn't be the first time). I don't need to change it by the way, I drained the oil in prep for getting engine out and took that side cover off just for giggles. Lo-and-behold, there's a load of gear change mechanism in a gasketed cavity outboard of the sprocket.

On a separate note, that motor is a bit of a lift for one person isn't it. It was like doing the "Atlas Stones" lift getting it onto my work bench  :P :o.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: New discovery
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
Share a photo. Something is not right there.....

Offline Jontyp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
Trust me on this, I am undoubtedly being unbelievably thick. I'm generally pretty good as a mechanic but at a glance it looked like that cover had to come off to get access to the sprocket cover. I'm at work at the moment but, if I get a chance before I go on holiday tomorrow, I'll have another look. I'm prepared to be laughed at and generally made fun of if it turns out to be simpler than it appears.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »
Perfectly normal on the 750, you don't have to drain the oil to access/change the sprocket, the small cover over the sprocket will come out with a bit of wiggling without disturbing the cover under the gear lever.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Jontyp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »
There you are, you see. The voice of reason  ;) :) :D. I took the outer cover off because that was the source of one of the various oil weeps (gasket is fubar) and never bothered to see if the smaller sprocket cover would come off leaving the other one in place.

Cheers All.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 04:43:45 PM »
Honda service items are usually easy

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 09:28:35 PM »
The only bike I know of were you have to drain the oil to change the front sprocket is my dads 1200 Triumph trophy.
What a pain in the arse it is too.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal