Author Topic: DVLA and frame numbers  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: DVLA and frame numbers
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »
Thanks Chris for thinking I tackle most jobs - which I usually do, but I think I will pass on cutting out a headstock tube and welding in another which would involve some serious jig work.  I would have a go at the lower frame section though if that became necessary.  I have thought about just sending off the V5 with a frame change and see what happens.  If they insist on MSVA, an inspection and a Q plate I'll tell them I won't bother as it would be rather difficult living in Orkney and just keep the original.  As I haven't actually bought this frame yet, I might yet just break the damn thing, for although they are quite rare it doesn't really float my boat - plenty fours to go at yet!
Ian

Just a thought - I have a spare 350 four frame with log book (tax exempt too), so a cafe racer with this DOHC twin carb single motor might be nice!

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »
File over both numbers and stamp the old number on the replacement frame. I have a Honda I bought off the internet and when I took it for an MOT I discovered there was no frame number on the headstock and no vin plate. I rang up the DVLA who told me to stamp the number on the V5 onto the headstock. I did that, got it MOT'd and as far as I and the DVLA are concerned that is the end of the matter. In short the DVLA had absolutely no interest in why my frame had no number.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »
Thanks for that, I might just ask them what to do with no frame number showing and see what they say.

Ian

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »
I don't think you can get an MOT without a frame (VIN) number , the previous post although I'm sure done in good faith doesn't sound legal, I'm sure trigger will comment soon he is well versed in such matters.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »
Yes Mark you are spot on about an mot but what I was saying was that I might ask them what to do with a non visible frame number when I have the v5 with the number on - if that makes sense.
Best not say any more,
Ian

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
My lips are sealed, didn't see nuffin guvnor.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 09:44:03 AM »
I replaced a frame on a C90 with a brand new one, it didn't come with a number stamped on it so I had to stamp the number on myself.  I used the original number as that frame was scrapped.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 10:18:58 AM »
I replaced a frame on a C90 with a brand new one, it didn't come with a number stamped on it so I had to stamp the number on myself.  I used the original number as that frame was scrapped.
That is the totally correct and legal way of doing it. Changing the identity of a frame with an existing number is legally a no no, basically you could be attempting to conceal a stolen vehicle as plod would see it.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 02:30:29 PM »
Sorry if I worded that confusingly Oddjob. If you buy a frame from Honda it has no number stamped on it, you are supposed to stamp the number of the damaged frame on it, then destroy the old frame. Putting a different number on a previously stamped frame IS illegal.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal