Author Topic: SOHC IGN COIL REPAIR -- DIY CHEAPO REPLACE HT LEADS Also N.D. HONDA TWINS COILS  (Read 5711 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: SOHC COIL REPAIR -- DIY CHEAPO REPLACE HT LEADS
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
MrT (Roger)   ...  In the write-up I used 7mm dia HT cable PVC HT cable  with multistrand core. Problem is I bought it off eBay a couple of years ago and trying to track down the seller. There are loads of sellers but I would like to include the source I used.
I got the same type off of eBay, along with the appropriate ngk resistor caps.  I didn't realise about the need for dielectric resin - glad you warned me!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 09:32:41 AM »
I have copied the repair procedure in my Dropbox links
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:35:33 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
Interesting that the Nippon Denso  'twins' coils are mounted to the aluminium frame with slotted type screws not 'JIS 'crossheads' .This was done as standard. Never seen slotted screws used on a Honda before !
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Anyone know how much current the stock pair of coils typically draws?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Anyone know how much current the stock pair of coils typically draws?

2.5-> 3 Amps depending on coil temperature

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting this. Most of us with only one or two (or three) bikes only come to this problem rarely and can make mistakes at the first attempt. The pictures give me the confidence to get on with mine.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile

Here are a few pics of my coil rebuild.  It's not pretty, I've still got to file back the putty but it all worked well - very pleased!
The one word of advice I'd give would be to use blu-tac instead of tape to make the barriers for the resin.  The tape allowed quite a bit to ooze out before it set and made quite a mess, however the blu-tac contained it perfectly.  It's a bit of a pain to get it all off of the resin before adding the putty but overall the results were well worth the efforts.

Thanks Ash!!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
that looks good,when I replaced my coils I chickened out ,

and got a replacement set,

they look very usable,and as they are hidden under the tank,the finish is not quite so important.
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Great stuff Roger . One trick on the epoxy putty is to mould it to about the correct shape and let it cure for half an hour then moisten a rubber-gloved finger and smooth over the surface. Power file /wet'n'dry then  satin paint will sort out aesthetics on yours ( if you are bothered  ;)) .

Problem with 'replacement' coils  is that if they are used and even off a low mileage bike, the PVC  outer of the HT coil will almost certainly be really hard and brittle after 40 years.

Give me a couple of weeks and I can duplicate my tester so you can spark test at full rate, off the bike and give it a 'soak' test ( then pass on to anyone else who wants to use it). All you will need is a battery or 3A power supply, no test gear like I used.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:24:06 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Sounds like a plan!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Online Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Yes Ash, that is our Piki.........Diego Corral Jimenez. An absolutely delightful man to do business with.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:35:11 AM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Just noticed someone is Spain is doing the numbers for the coil leads. Is this Piki on here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB750-550-500-400-350-FOUR-COIL-NUMBERS-DECALS-HONDA-FOUR-/201659014611?hash=item2ef3d05dd3:g:kcIAAOSwtnpXnchC

Hello there, yes I am!!! If you need one of that, let me know!! Free for you!!

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Just noticed someone is Spain is doing the numbers for the coil leads. Is this Piki on here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB750-550-500-400-350-FOUR-COIL-NUMBERS-DECALS-HONDA-FOUR-/201659014611?hash=item2ef3d05dd3:g:kcIAAOSwtnpXnchC

Hello there, yes I am!!! If you need one of that, let me know!! Free for you!!

Hello Julie, you are very great woman, other kit free for you if you are interested on it!!
Let me know!!
Best Regards.

Online Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Hi Piki.
Yes please, I also need some other bits as well, not free of charge, so I will PM you
xx
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal