Author Topic: CB750 SS Honda Britain  (Read 13342 times)

Gouldie

CB750 SS Honda Britain
« on: November 17, 2006, 06:53:11 PM »
Are there many of you gents or ladies out there with one of these bikes left ?
I have an 1981 reg CB750SS. The story goes there were 250 of these built because the original 400 bikes earmarked as Phil Read replicas were cut short to 150 because Mr Read got no royalties ! Honda Britan said they would be delighted to have a bike named after there racing team and so the bike was built. Mr Sealy of Brighton UK built them as were the Read replicas.
I have spent many hours playing and although the engine has had a number of performance enhancements the bike is still basically as it left Brighton.
Anyone with one of these machines I would be very greatful to hear from you. I will also post an original sales brochure for all to see ( once I have found it here in my study !! ).
Gouldie.
P.s. There is still a local company in my town who can manufacture Phil Read and Honda Britain fairing screens ! Keep in touch !

Post edited by: Gouldie, at: 2006/11/17 19:15

jimshea

Re:CB750 SS Honda Britain
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »
Gouldie,
I have a V reg PRR in my garage, it is owned by a mate of mine. The story as you said is that only 150 PRR were made as Read had a falling our with Mr Honda. Honda than finished the rest of the bikes as Honda Britains. I know where there is another PRR and a Honda Britain not far from me, they are both for sale.
Useful that there is a place near you that cam make the 'hard' bits to get hold of? Where is that?
I live near Camberley, where are you from?
Jim.

Gouldie

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:19:13 PM »
I live in Weymouth, the South coast. You may have heard of Skidmark who make fairings, well they actually made the windscreens for Seeley ! And they still have the screen mould.

jimshea

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 09:16:56 AM »
That's a bit of a result; knowing how fragile the screens are!
Have you had the bike long?
Jim.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:31:05 PM »
Weymouth eh?  Nice destination for a Sunday ride.

Or a meet at Poole (with a thousand others)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Gouldie

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 04:41:16 PM »
I bought the bike in 1990, was a terrible mess - the previous owner had painted the wheels gold, unfortunately he had painted most of the tyres too ! The engine got a big make over -- it runs the Yoshi 812cc flat top big bore kit with the YH1 Yoshi cam. There is a Yoshi exhaust system, K7N's, Boyer ignition and a few very unmentionables which make it quite swift ! Will post some pictures soon as with the original brochure. Thanks - Gouldie.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 11:57:04 AM »
Gouldie, put the pics in one big zip file and send them to gallery@honda-sohc.co.uk, I'll put them in an album of thier own
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Gouldie

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 08:48:13 PM »
I have now scanned the brochure of the CB750SS, should you wish a copy of them please e-mail me or make a post to the forum, that way I can send to you. Thanks for looking, the editor has had them sent, so, he may post them on the site here ! Have a little check !!
Gouldie.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 08:06:26 AM »
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E

John

Gouldie

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 10:56:49 AM »
To ALL you Phil Read Rep riders - amongst my archives (!) I have found the Road test from Motor Cycle news dated May 24th 1978. I have scanned it and sent it to John for posting up onto the page of pictures I have posted already.
I'm affraid due to the format of MCN in them days the pages have been split into 4 images, but I'm sure you will all be pleased to read the article.
Happy Christmas and a Good Nw Year to everyone of the SOHC site.
Gouldie.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E

John

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 08:09:03 AM »
:woohoo: Ok, now I'm hooked, I was thinking cafe racer, now I'm thinking SS Honda Britain.

:unsure: What's involved in a conversion,
:( is it possible,
:whistle:  is it frowned upon by real SSHB owners :angry:

It just so happens I have 3/4s of an F2 in my shed,

Money is no object, 'cos I don't have any :P
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E

John

Gouldie

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 08:44:58 AM »
Converting to cafe racer is so easy !!! The basic ingredient is what you have already - the frame, engine and runninh gear.
A pair of Ace bars rather than true clipons makes the bike more rideable and comfortable if used daily. Fairing and tank may be more of a problem, but there are many fairings that would modify and fit, a fuel tank may be more of a problem - I guess auto jumbles and Ebay may well find the tank you wish to fit, but fit the tank that you LIKE not just what mmay go !
If you have a set of footrest hangers I can give you the dimensions to drill holes for the rear-sets as originally on PR rep and Britain............. The rest is all in your mind and bank balance !
Gouldie.

tim4lymm

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 11:26:46 AM »
Hi Gouldie and folks - I'm new to this forum and have a 1980 V plated Blue Honda Britain in the garage - 23k miles, totally complete and unrestored (I am 3rd owner) - it is the same one that was featured in the June/July CMM 2004.  I'm based in Cheshire.  I collected quite a lot of info on these and PRR's - let me know if you want any of it (articles/ads, etc.).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal