Author Topic: Headlamp compatibility  (Read 5194 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Headlamp compatibility
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »
Well I've discovered that there are all sorts of sizes of Cibie units that were fitted to bikes.  I see what people mean now about the adaptor rings which mine does not have.  My old Cibie unit is 153mm which I think is slightly larger that the standard fitting which explains why a 5 3/4" unit just drops through the headlamp rim?  The only one I have been able to find so far is French and has the wrong bias for dipped beam but is the same as my corroded one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optique-phare-153mm-Iode-H4-CIBIE-440108-Honda-350-Suzuki-250-380-500-Yamaha-/222179184387?hash=item33bae94f03:g:oLEAAOSwx-9WuKAy

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 05:09:33 PM »
Here's another Cibie unit complete with adaptor ring to fit in the standard rim.
I'd like to see a picture of the back of it though - one he listed a while back had completely different lugs from what I would expect on the back of the lamp.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB400-Four-CB400F-400-4-superb-Cibie-headlight-/391520771187?hash=item5b2874dc73:g:0BIAAOSwtnpXngOK

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »
thanks for that but I reckon that one won't fit in the cibie rim I have which is larger than the standard one.  I'll ask him to measure it I think.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 06:16:56 PM »
I can measure my standard rim and the adaptor ring for you if that would help, but not until tomorrow.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
Thanks,  I'll ask the ebay vendor.  It should be 153mm in diameter to be the same as the one I had.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
Without dismantling the light to measure accurately 153mm looks about the ID of my standard rim so that Cibie unit should drop straight in with the adaptor ring.
I'd still like to see a picture of the back of the lamp to check it has the single lug at the top to fit in the cutout in the rim - one he listed looked different.
Normally he posts several pictures of items from different angles; don't know why he hasn't this time.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 03:29:32 PM »
I have a Cibie unit without the adaptor ring, the person before me had used bathroom mastic to fit it into the rim  :-\
There was a rough s/h unit on e-bay last week with the reflector chrome going rusty, I only wanted the adaptor ring and even that was rusty!, I was outbid, it sold for about 15 pounds  :-[.
The one on e-bay at the moment is being sold by bike pusher, he sold one similar a few weeks ago, I gave up when the bidding reached 40 pounds on that one and this one is likely to go the same way. I have today ordered a DS unit for 29 pounds, it has an H4 bulb so good enough. I'll keep the Cibie in case an adaptor ring turns up at a good price.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »
The weird thing is mine has a Cibie outer rim, the original Honda headlamp rim has been replaced.  On the top part it says 'Cibie Halte'

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
Just as a matter of interest is the rim fitted to an original Honda headlight bowl or was the whole unit replaced?
I remember the adaptor kits being advertised and used 'back in the day' but don't remember replacement headlight units being available, although the brain cells are fading ....

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
I haven't seen one like this before, it is a Cibie rim fitted onto the original Honda headlamp shell.  The holes are in the right place so it looks as though designed for the job.

Looking at the scarring on the top of the front of the front mudguard I suspect this bike has been for an unplanned upside down excursion down the road and the original headlamp smashed.

I will attempt to take a photograph, but it's not my strong point.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 09:10:22 PM »
I feel you pain on this one, took me an age to get a spare for my cb500, and I still have a large box of adapter rings and headlamp units that I intend at some point to sort through and ebay as a result of my erronius purchases. I am pretty sure I also have at least 1 of these cibie units that fit the standard headlight shell but have a wierd cibie  adapter. Every so often they turn up cheap on ebay, normally as a result of bad listings.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 10:50:21 PM »
thing is though, this didn't have an adaptor.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »
So the chrome rim was part of the unit? I' ve had ones with a second chrome ring with springs and catches, and I think one had the chrome more directly holding the light unit, but the chrome ring had had its tangs to meet the shell rotted off which was frustrating as I had a set of sealed beam units that could use the same ring. I wonder if it would be possible to spin up aluminium rims on a lathe... mighr be something I shall look into to try given I'm trying to set up self employed.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
So the chrome rim was part of the unit? I' ve had ones with a second chrome ring with springs and catches, and I think one had the chrome more directly holding the light unit, but the chrome ring had had its tangs to meet the shell rotted off which was frustrating as I had a set of sealed beam units that could use the same ring. I wonder if it would be possible to spin up aluminium rims on a lathe... mighr be something I shall look into to try given I'm trying to set up self employed.

With your skills & ingenuity Matt I reckon there are loads of repro parts you could make and sell. We ought to start a list on here  for you, in order  to get you 'rolling'. My starter would be the little top hat sleeves used to mount Honda mudguards. Phil Denton Engineering seems to have loads of business making repro parts from polished  303 stainless steel, so well worth a shot.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 02:29:08 PM »
..... Every so often they turn up cheap on ebay, normally as a result of bad listings.
The trick is to find them!
Mine was just listed as a CJ360 headlamp but I recognised it for what it was and the seller did me a BIN.
Sounds like Florence's Cibie rim is pretty close to the same size as a standard rim so a Cibie lamp with adaptor ring may fit in that.
Or you could get hold of a standard rim and fit a Cibie lamp with adaptor ring.
Or you go down the modern route and fit the Superdream headlight that has been mentioned elsewhere.
So many choices!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal