Author Topic: CR750 Replica Battery  (Read 798 times)

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
CR750 Replica Battery
« on: July 11, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
Hi Guys
I'm just at the stage of modding the frame to adapt the standard frame to take the alloy tanks.  The central alloy tank obviously means moving the battery and this is where I need some guidance. I know that most CR reps have the battery under the seat hump but there's not much room and I guess its a small battery.  I still want to use the starter motor if possible (can't be bothered with all that kicking lark even if it is easy on Honda's!). 
Any inf or guidance/pics much appreciated before I start hacking chunks off the frame.
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline westfieldandy

• View Profile
    • good-bits
Re: CR750 Replica Battery
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:40:40 PM »
Hi,

always a problem this one,   how far a compromise to make??????

I've been through all this myself,  if you keep starter you need the great big flywheel and stator, which means cutting a hole in fairing to allow engine case to stick out, then you keep grinding through it going around corners, plus you need a decent sized battery to start it.

but if thats the way you want to go it can just about be done .  I ran a starter in our first seasons racing, although very quickly removed it all.

You should just about get a cbr1000 late model battery under seat hump, this battery is a good rating for its size. and will start bike

use a replacement rectifier/reg pack instead of the old contraption, its easier to tuck away, and the starter solenoid can also just about about be put under seat too. remember to use a decent size cable to supply starter, and from solenoid to battery, this is harder to hide but a little perseverence and little black cable ties etc.

a couple of customers of mine have been fairly successful with these little lithium ion batterys, they are light as a feather and tiny, one chap fitted one under swing arm near swing arm pivot, and another in a tray under seat. but I am not wholly convinced of them just yet, as i have seen some fail to maintain their ability over short time, but this could be due to lack of use, so i am still to be convinced.

any question contact me

andy

https://youtu.be/cOcQZ2oVeFE

www.good-bits.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal