Author Topic: Advice on spray gun for frame painting  (Read 2665 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Advice on spray gun for frame painting
« on: February 23, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »
Need some advice on sprayguns. I have four Honda frames,swinging arms etc NOT paintwork (I leave that to the Mennos/Andrews of this world !  :) that I want to have a shot at myself.

I already have an old Devilbiss JGA gun. However,  someone who used to paint cars but is now a policeman has loaned me these additional ones he no longer uses. Which one is best to paint my frames ect?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on spray gun for frame painting
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:50:55 AM »
I've had good results with a gravity type gun (top left).  Have a practice with the various adjustments on your bqck fence or something;  and it kills 2 birds with 1 bullet
BTW,  Old engine oil protects fence panels better than any fancy fence paint from B&Q.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
Any one of those should work no problem. It is the paint thickness/viscosity that is the important factor as well as how much air/paint. Try it out on some old cardboard, start with the paint as low as posible and slowly let more paint through and see how it sits on the surface as you don't want any runs. Don't spray too dry and don't spray too wet. Find the happy medium. And as always the yardstick is, it is better to spray 3 light coats than one heavy one.  ;D
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:59:15 PM »
Would use either the sata or devilbiss  (blue gti with the pps adapter ) with a 1.2 fluid tip.

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:25:51 PM »
Frames are a little bit more tricky to paint than a piece of bodywork. You need to work around each tube and make sure you don't leave a dry area. Also you will find the overspray from one part will be landing on another so you will need to use a fairly slow thinner or activator if you are using 2k. This of course means it will run more easily if you double coat anything  (quite easy to do when painting a frame ).

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 07:36:26 PM »
Got some Genuine Hammerite Thinners for £2.50 / litre at an autojumble and a 2.5 litre tin of the black smooth paint out of a skip ages ago. Going to try it out on some frame parts. Tins tell me 15% thinners /to paint,  25-35 PSI pressure and wide fan, thin coats, 15 mins between coats  but no mention of nozzle size. anyone know which size tip I need?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »
Use one of the two Sata Hvlp 3000's you have lying there.
Take the smallest nozzle. It makes painting easier if you don't spray every day.
1.0 would be best.
It makes it easier to apply paint without shooting to much at once.

The other 3 are rather big for just painting a frame.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 10:59:37 PM »
Use one of the two Sata Hvlp 3000's you have lying there.
Take the smallest nozzle. It makes painting easier if you don't spray every day.
1.0 would be best.
It makes it easier to apply paint without shooting to much at once.

The other 3 are rather big for just painting a frame.

Thanks Menno ...don't worry I won't go anywhere near Candy  ;)

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 10:30:13 PM »
Allow me to tell you a story.

Once I was in the south of France with my dad and we went to visit a guy who does the same work as I do:
Painting tanks with candy and flakes.

So we get there and this guy starts explaining everything about painting.
What he does, how he works. Which tools he uses and what kind of paint.
My dad, who is far better in french than I am, got lost in the conversation and had at some point no clue what we were talking about.

After this interesting and nice meeting my dad wondered it was rather unusual that this guy told so much about his work.
And I explained that the how is not a big secret. You can get instructions and info anywhere. Google, youtube.
It is the experience that makes all the difference. Working with candy is really frustrating if you don't do it every day.

I get a lot of clienst coming over saying that they went to a local painter - guys with years of experience with 'normal' paint- and they simply didn't get it right.

So, I can tell you guys all you want to know. And believe me; there is no more fun in doing everything on your bike all by yourself.
But even I struggle often with candy even after working with it daily for a couple of years now.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 05:01:27 PM by Menno »

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
Allow me to tell you a story.

Once I was in the south of France with my dad and we went to visit a guy who does the same work as I do:
Painting tanks with candy and flakes.

So we get there and this guy starts explaining everything about painting.
What he does, how he works. Which tools he uses and what kind of paint.
My dad, who is far better in french than I am, got lost in the conversation and had at some point no clue what we were talking about.

After this interesting and nice meeting my dad wondered it was rather unusual that this guy told so much about his work.
And I explained that the how is not a big secret. You can get instructions and info anywhere. Google, youtube.
It is the experience that makes all the difference. Working with candy is really frustrating if you don't do it every day.

I get a lot of clienst coming over saying that they went to a local painter - guys with years of experience with 'normal' paint- and they simply didn't get it right.

So, I can tell you guy all you want to know. And believe me; there is no more fun in doing everyting on your bike all by yourself.
But even I struggle often with candy even after working with it daily for a couple of years now.

Totally agree Menno.  All candy painters I have ever talked too tell me, one wrong move and you have to start all over again and wipe out any profit you have.
My feelings on when Honda started using candy paint was on the 1967 SS125 twin frames ( Candy red & candy blue/green). Anyone know an earlier Honda model using candy paint?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal