Author Topic: DS Museum  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: DS Museum
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 02:33:36 PM »
Funny you should mention silver lines Oddjob. I got a tank in black from a guy down in Hampshire some years ago with silver-ish lines. He bought the bike new in 1972 but, his Honda dealer could not supply him one in candy gold so, he took a black one and bought the gold tank and panels (at trade price). He had the black tank in his loft since basically day one and I bought it off him.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
Sorry but as you know the 500 is my jam (as the kids would say) and that's a poor example of one. As Graham says seat cover is repro, the rear dampers are aftermarket, I'm not 100% sure on this and could be wrong but I always remembered the tank stripes as being white on them all and those look silver, could be wrong though as they do kinda make sense. Seat is a poor fit, chrome stripe no longer lines up with the tank chrome, unless of course DS left the seat slightly up for some reason.

Considering the amount of spares DS is supposed to have you'd have thought they'd have replaced all the polished casings for originals. Nothing against polished I may add but if your doing a museum you want it to look as standard as possible, like the British Museum have a T Rex with a chicken bone for a front leg, just doesn't look right.

Thing is that a friend of mine offered to loan him his genuine 1971 K0 500 (candy  green) that he bought when he worked in Florida  and shipped back with him when he moved back to the UK and then restored with Genuine pipes etc but he was told that the two models he offered to loan (a red 1968 fully restored CB250SS as well) were 'already covered'. As I said though Ken, the bikes I photo'd only represent a small number and there are some minters in there ( like a CB450K0 bomber and a 450D street/desert scrambler). I personally think it's well worth a visit as Suffolk is a lovely un-spoilt part of Britain ....you could be back in the 50's. The guy running the museum Roger Etcell told me they are not aiming for concourse exhibits just good examples.

There's a USA spec 400/4 F2 in there that I am convinced is not the correct candy Antares Red but man does the colour look good. Or did the US get a different shade at the end (it's the one with single front mudguard stay), possibly with fuel flap panel, not chrome flip-cap.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:03:45 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 05:07:22 PM »
Yes Ash, Suffolk is a stunning part of the country and well worth a visit anytime. The thing with this collection of bikes, by the little I have seen from your photo's, some are most certainly not 'good examples' and IMHO I think some of the bikes, or the way they have been presented let the brand down somewhat. We all have bikes sitting at home that may not be 100% 'original' or concourse and it would have been nice to see a collection of Classic Honda's that are the 'best' examples outside Japan.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:10:15 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 09:01:38 PM »
Oddjob, how can you say a CB72 is ugly, THEN say if you had the money you'd buy a CBX550? Now they were seriously ugly, those awful enclosed discs, that were more trouble than they were worth, then there's the paintjob, general styling, and those wheels, styling lifted from a 125 superdream! :o :o :o
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 09:35:34 PM »
suggestion,is it worth organizing a weekend visit,

B & B for those that need it? 

maybe a sunday visit and saturday BBQ at a local pub ??
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »
I bought a CB72 in 1975 and sold it the same summer (doubled my money from £32.50 to £65  ;D)  My GF hated it said she had a 'nasty feeling ' about it and begged me to get rid . Seemed very dated even then so I am kind of with your way of thinking Ken (Oddjob) Same with the CB160 I had  seemed very dated compared with my Cd175A sloper.   This is what my CD125 is going to end up like and I think its  a stunning little bike (same frame and engine as the SS125 & candy frame parts you mention Ken)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:45:20 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 09:44:33 PM »

Sounds like a good idea. I wonder if we qualify as a 'Club' to get FOC entry? (The amount of money we have all spent with DSS over the years, I think we part own it anyway) 😃😃😃
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 09:46:47 PM »

Sounds like a good idea. I wonder if we qualify as a 'Club' to get FOC entry? (The amount of money we have all spent with DSS over the years, I think we part own it anyway) 😃😃😃

give him a break Julie  ;D ;D ;D ;D Pretty sure as SOHC members and a group of a few,  you will all get in for nowt, as we say round here!

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 09:59:30 PM »

give him a break Julie  ;D ;D ;D ;D Pretty sure as SOHC members and a group of a few,  you will all get in for nowt, as we say round here!
Say that again when you meet me Friday Ash, standing in front of you with the rolling pin in my hand 😃😃😃 Nothing personal against the chap, I have never met him.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:01:42 PM by Nurse Julie »

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »

Count me in for that
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 11:01:26 PM »

Say that again when you meet me Friday Ash, standing in front of you with the rolling pin in my hand 😃😃😃 Nothing personal against the chap, I have never met him.

Bloomin 'eck your'e worrying me now... hope that rolling pin is the plastic variety and not made of ASH  :)

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 07:03:37 PM »
Saw the mention of the SS125 in the threads above and thought I would post a pic of my SS125. At the time I was only in love with it for 6 months and traded it for a Tiger 90. It's blue like the one in DS museum. Paid £189 (got £25 for my C110) for it when still 16 and rode it straight down to Dover as I remember. They say kid's grow up younger these days. I don't think so.
And I've never been to Suffolk, but feel a trip coming on.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »
I had two new CB500/4's in the 1970's (1973 & 1974). Both were black with silver lines on the tank. I don't know if they're still around now (DCJ 75L & WFH 140M).

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »
I had two new CB500/4's in the 1970's (1973 & 1974). Both were black with silver lines on the tank. I don't know if they're still around now (DCJ 75L & WFH 140M).

interesting .  the first DCJ plate is .was a Herefordshire plate,local dealer was Mead & Tomkinson,

last taxed 1984

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:35:20 PM by Johnwebley »
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 08:41:49 AM »
John, thanks for that. DCJ was purchased through Mead and Tompkinson, WFH only a few months later due to a misdemeanour by a dealer whilst on road test (they replaced the bike free of charge to me, having broken an agreement that they would not road test it after performing the first service if roads were wet - they did and fell off!).

WFH was found by me at (I think it was called Fraser's) of Gloucester. The bikes were in short supply at the time and the dealer who did the damage had said that if I could find a bike, he would have it transferred to his stock for sale to me. In fairness, he was as good as his word.

Damage to DCJ was, if I remember correctly, confined to exhausts and a few minor marks on one side. It was repaired and kept by the dealer who damaged it as his personal transport for some time, and then sold as used.

All a very long time ago now, of course. In those days I lived in the area, as my brother and mother still do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal