SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

CB750 Barn find project - First Timer

(1/119) > >>

Underdog1:
Hi guys,

I taking delivery of a 1976 CB750 tomorrow which is a non runner from a dry US state, something for me to spend my spare time tinkering with. Needless to say i have naff all history with this bike.

According to the seller it has good compression and when fed a few squirts of ether it fires and tries to start & run. My mechanical expertise are basic from doing various jobs on cars, and I've bought this bike to actually develop some better mechanical know how.

As i don't know the history of why this bike was stored in the first place I'm a little reluctant to start trying to fire her up straight off the bat - Can anyone give me any damage controlling tips on what i should check beforehand?

My first job will be to tear down and refurb the carbs, hopefully this will get her at least ticking over. Only time will tell hey!

JamesH:
Welcome to the forum, and looks like you've bought a DK special. Looks like a good base to start with....

Johnwebley:
first,

get a manual,with that read it and check ALL the bike over,

renew brake fluid,engine oil and filters,

beware of stripping the carbs if you don't know what you doing,

spend time learning about the bike,before you touch it,

BTW,we love pictures on here,the more the merrier,

PS,Welcome the the wonderful world of sohc,lots of friendly people here,with stacks of expert advice,

Underdog1:

--- Quote from: Jamesh_sussex on July 23, 2016, 09:51:28 PM ---Welcome to the forum, and looks like you've bought a DK special. Looks like a good base to start with....

--- End quote ---

Hah yeah bang on. Pretty much the same description on all their imports!

--- Quote from: Johnwebley on July 23, 2016, 09:52:26 PM ---first,

get a manual,with that read it and check ALL the bike over,

renew brake fluid,engine oil and filters,

beware of stripping the carbs if you don't know what you doing,

spend time learning about the bike,before you touch it,

BTW,we love pictures on here,the more the merrier,

PS,Welcome the the wonderful world of sohc,lots of friendly people here,with stacks of expert advice,

--- End quote ---

Cheers mate, yeah I've got a tatty second hand haynes manual ready for it. Im pretty mechanically minded so will hopefully get things figured out. Just didn't want to make a catastrophic mistake at the start line firing it up when theres no engine oil or something  ;D

Trigger:
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC. Met a guy a couple of days ago at a café on the coast that just bought a CB750K1, USA import. He was telling me that he only rode the bike 7 miles to the MOT station when the top end went wrong, due to the oil jets blocking. So, at least remove the sump to see what state the engine is in. Enjoy :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version