Author Topic: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer  (Read 53532 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer
« Reply #420 on: July 15, 2018, 01:17:34 AM »
Take me about 5 hours to build you a loom as long as all the bits are to hand, if you can get it here. My pickup only does 20 mpg so would be pricy to come down

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 15, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
Nope, the ground to the horn is PN 38105 323 000  ;) Or 38120 392 620

Some positive news today, my V5 finally arrived after many headaches. DVLA were particularly useless.

Hi UD, i see you managed to register the us import, without first obtaining an mot... what documents did they require

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 15, 2018, 03:20:56 PM »
Nope, the ground to the horn is PN 38105 323 000  ;) Or 38120 392 620

Some positive news today, my V5 finally arrived after many headaches. DVLA were particularly useless.

Hi UD, i see you managed to register the us import, without first obtaining an mot... what documents did they require

In full for a bike that doesn’t have its original foreign registration docs the process goes:

Apply for a dating certificate through the VJMC by sending them:

Pics of frame, engine and headstock numbers
Pics of the bike from each side (bike must be in one piece)
Completed dating application letter form
Payment of £35

(This is all explained on VJMC.com)

Once you’ve received the dating letter from them you can then apply for the V5 from the DVLA:
If the bike needs an mot this is where you go get one, if it doesn’t fill it a V112 form
Complete a V55/5 form (most of this doesn’t actually need to be filled out- I just did what I could and it was enough
Proof of ID
Postal order for £55
VJMC dating letter
I included all the pictures of the bike and numbers etc that I sent to the VJMC (although not sure if I needed to)
Proof of ownership (invoice/sales order etc)
Copy of the nova approval (again just included because I had it to hand)
And finally: INCLUDE A LETTER THAT STATES YOU DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL IMPORT CERTIFIATE AS IT WASN AVAILABLE AT TIME OF PURCHASE - this is basically the reason why my application got rejected twice, the instruction you get is vague at best!

There’s a half decent guide here http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/USED-BIKES-WARRANTY

Good luck with it and PM me of you need any more help

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 15, 2018, 03:51:04 PM »
Nice one UD. I already have the dating letter from vjmc, and a letter from honda saying they can’t date it.... I was thinking it still needed an mot fot its initial registration. I will send it all off and see what happens.... cheers

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
CB750 Barn find project - First Timer
« Reply #424 on: July 15, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »

And finally: INCLUDE A LETTER THAT STATES YOU DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL IMPORT CERTIFIATE AS IT WASN AVAILABLE AT TIME OF PURCHASE - this is basically the reason why my application got rejected twice, the instruction you get is vague at best!

Very important and new requirement - mine was rejected last week because of no covering letter.
The guy I spoke to at DVLA said the “rules” had changed the previous week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:07:42 PM by SteveD CB500K0 »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 15, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »

Very important and new requirement - mine was rejected last week because of no covering letter.
The guy I spoke to at DVLA said the “rules” had changed the previous week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And rather than actually contacting you they wait two weeks and fire the whole application back to you with no real explanation, and when you send it back they wait another two weeks to respond!

After my first rejection I wrote a covering letter stating very clearly to call or email me if they required anything else but they chinned me off a second time and sent my pack back. I called up and asked why on Earth they wouldn’t just call people to ask them to email further details and the bloke couldn’t give me an answer
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:03:54 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 20, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »
Another weekend another question!

Been doing all the cables this evening, when doing the clutch cable the arm was in the correct place but I pushed it forward hard to get the cable in and it stayed forward. Have tried giving it a tap but it won’t disengage. Anyone got any tips? The clutch is bone dry as there’s no oil in the bike and obviously the bikes been standing a long time.

Please note the clutch arm is on backwards as it gave me something to tap with a rubber mallet. Little reluctant to take the cover off as I gave the gasket a good coating of hondabond

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 20, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
Take the clutch housing off again and you should never use sealant on a gasket, you will get strings that will block the oil jets. 

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 20, 2018, 09:57:50 PM »
Take the clutch housing off again and you should never use sealant on a gasket, you will get strings that will block the oil jets.

Hondaman recommends it in his book IIRC due to it being a common site of oil leaks?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 20, 2018, 10:27:02 PM »

Hondaman recommends it in his book IIRC due to it being a common site of oil leaks?

Well, if Hondaman recommends it, then i better start using it on gaskets after 28 years  ;D ;D ;D

Didn't the Hondaman book tell you to attach the cable to the clutch arm, before the clutch lever  ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:53:18 PM by Trigger »

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »

Well, if Hondaman recommends it, then i better start using it on gaskets after 28 years  ;D ;D ;D

Didn't the Hondaman book tell you to attach the cable to the clutch arm, before the clutch lever  ;D

To be fair it’s been so long since I rebuilt the lump I can’t really remember the reason for some of the things I did!

Got it all sorted now, unsure how it all went out of alignment but it was easy enough to figure out once I popped the housing off.

I’ve got the throttle cables all working smoothly but where the pull cable attaches to the arm on the carb throttle linkage it’s not quite lined up. Doesn’t appear to be any adjustment left and right outside of bending stuff.. will probably be fine but just seems like it will cause wear to the cable

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »
Glad you got the clutch sorted. It looks like you have something in the wrong place, or wrong order on your carbs. The cable should sit exactly in line and as you have mentioned, it will foul and wear through the cable very quickly if left like that.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2018, 06:36:24 PM »
Glad you got the clutch sorted. It looks like you have something in the wrong place, or wrong order on your carbs. The cable should sit exactly in line and as you have mentioned, it will foul and wear through the cable very quickly if left like that.

Looking at the picture it actually looks a little bent, will have a look tomorrow.

Update on my tank. So the thick solid mass inside it was some sort of resin tank sealer, possibly a home brew job. In the low points of the tank it was the best part of an inch thick!

A friend of mine blasted the tank best he could through the filler cap but didn’t have much success so I cut the flats out either side and blasted it again with slightly better results. After this Ive put probably 3 hours manually scraping and sanding the inside of the tank

I think that’s as good as it’s going to get, wish I’d taken a picture of all the stuff that came out of it! Going to tig braise the cut outs back in and fill with phosphoric acid to convert any little bits of rust that may be hiding. If I find my carbs keep blocking up I’ll put a proper tank sealer in it like POR15
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:38:32 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »
Turns out that throttle cable guide bracket thing is soft and can be bent by hand so it’s bent back into the proper position now

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2018, 09:10:25 PM »
Great, another little niggle sorted. Onwards and upwards, you are making great progress.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal