Author Topic: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer  (Read 53676 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer
« Reply #540 on: August 26, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
Check compression! Burned or leaky valves could be an issue.... build up of carbon on the stems can cause the valves to stay open once warmed up  (i had this issue back in the 80’s)... a re-lap of the valve seats transformed the motor. A compression test will help, when cold and also at running temp... keep going, you will get there.
Ok sounds easy enough, lapped all the valves and cleaned hem up during the rebuild but I’ll recheck clearances and do a compression test this week.. just need a compression gauge.

Are the cheap ones that come in a red plastic case (all over amazon and eBay) for about £12 good enough?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 26, 2018, 03:10:11 PM »
10-15 minutes riding sounds quite a long time for something fuel or electrical related to show itself. Could it be the top end of the engine getting very hot for some reason and partially seizing due to metal expansion? Cools down, contracts and off you go again. My theory is based on nothing more than Women's logic here 😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 26, 2018, 03:19:10 PM »
10-15 minutes riding sounds quite a long time for something fuel or electrical related to show itself. Could it be the top end of the engine getting very hot for some reason and partially seizing due to metal expansion? Cools down, contracts and off you go again. My theory is based on nothing more than Women's logic here 😁😁
I had something that felt similar on a hornet I had, would conk out after 15 mins and not restart until it cooled down, was a burnt connector from the stator and a duff rectifier causing the battery to not charge.

I get 14.5v over the battery with bike on or off which seems fine. Would be good to rest when the battery is depleted a bit I suppose to make sure the voltage jumps up when it starts

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 26, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »
The 12 quid ones are crap mate

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 26, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
The 12 quid ones are crap mate
Maybe I’ll stretch to the £18 ones then :D

Not had time to work on the bike today but quickly whipped the carb bowls off and fuel flows fine, embarrassingly I thought  the off and reserve settings on the pet cock were the other way round so half the time I was probably trying to start the bike in the off position!

Now it’s even possible that I ran out of fuel on the on position as I put a Jerry cans worth of fuel in  then continued to try and start the bike in the off position and I did fanny about with the peacock a fair bit during breakdowns, perhaps I filled the carb bowls up when I though it was switched off and then drove a mile or so with it actually switched off thinking I was on reserve until the bowls emptied again..

Anyway I can’t see any sparks at all at the points one of the spark plugs seemed loose and this is the colour they’re at

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 26, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
Lol... hopefully you have solved the mystery...  :)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 26, 2018, 08:23:13 PM »
I know you have a few issues to attend too but it must be a good feeling that she's up and running now. We'll done.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 26, 2018, 08:32:32 PM »
I know you have a few issues to attend too but it must be a good feeling that she's up and running now. We'll done.

Yeah it’s been a great learning experience, never messed about with engines before but now feel as if I’ve at least got a basic grasp!

When I do the next one it will be a lot easer  :)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #548 on: August 27, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »
I did fanny about with the peacock a fair bit during breakdowns

I should resurrect the old “Quote of the Month” thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 27, 2018, 08:26:41 AM »
Plug doesn't look crazy,  bit dark but the main electrode is burning clean-ish so not too far off and would probably show better if it ran for longer.

They really will do over 3 miles on one fill of the float bowls as I routinely turned mine off on the way home to leave it parked as good habit when riding them.

Hope you've found the reason and nailed that one down.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 27, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »
I did fanny about with the peacock a fair bit during breakdowns

I should resurrect the old “Quote of the Month” thread

Hah peacock! Bloody iPhone autocorrect always makes me post weird stuff  ;D

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 27, 2018, 09:26:58 AM »
Plug doesn't look crazy,  bit dark but the main electrode is burning clean-ish so not too far off and would probably show better if it ran for longer.

They really will do over 3 miles on one fill of the float bowls as I routinely turned mine off on the way home to leave it parked as good habit when riding them.

Hope you've found the reason and nailed that one down.

Will be nice if it’s that simple, going to to some laps of the block so if I break down I won’t be too far and also bring a backpack full of tools to check plugs, fuel, coils, battery etc.

As I mentioned earlier the carbs have only been bench synced, needle clips are in the middle position so could move  them down a notch or two to raise the needle for a leaner mix. I’ve ordered a carbtune pro to properly sync them too.

I’m happy I’m in the ballpark with the jets as it was basically a guess

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 27, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »
Seemed ok on a 15 minute ride, came back in as the front brake was feeling pretty absent. I’ve got braided lines and a rebuilt caliper (reused the piston as it seemed ok) and new master cylinder, it’s been ok up until now but just felt like it wasn’t stopping the bike to the point where I met a car in the lanes and had to use the rear brake heavily to stop. Haven’t yet adjusted it as I can’t get the front wheel in the air without taking the headers off which means new crush gaskets, will get around to it soon though but I think it’s maybe more than just out of adjustment. It’s been bled properly and the lever is feeling hard.

Something else I’ve noticed is one of the oil lines has a small drip where the end fixing is crimped on. I take it this can’t be overhauled?

With regards to the carbs overflowing, I fitted the overflow hoses and since then not had anything out of them, can’t see why that would make a difference though.

UPDATE: just seen the price of those oil hoses  :o
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:51:31 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 01, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »
So thankfully it seems it’s the washer on the oil tank drain bolt leaking rather than the oil hose, I’ll replace the washer at some point and see if it makes a difference.

The seats currently with a local upholsterer getting sorted, have received a Morgan carbtune pro so I’ll hopefully have the carbs dialled in soon (unable to work on it this weekend though).

The carbs are still dumping fuel seemingly randomly. I’ll put the bike away and switch the fuel off, tinker around with a few things and still no fuel dumped.. but when I come back into the garage the next day there will be fuel ok the floor. Sometimes it doesn’t happen for a few days and all of a sudden it justs dumps the fuel whilst sat doing nothing...

They floats seem ok, if they were at incorrect heights or whatever surely it would just overflow straight away?

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 01, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
So thankfully it seems it’s the washer on the oil tank drain bolt leaking rather than the oil hose, I’ll replace the washer at some point and see if it makes a difference.

The seats currently with a local upholsterer getting sorted, have received a Morgan carbtune pro so I’ll hopefully have the carbs dialled in soon (unable to work on it this weekend though).

The carbs are still dumping fuel seemingly randomly. I’ll put the bike away and switch the fuel off, tinker around with a few things and still no fuel dumped.. but when I come back into the garage the next day there will be fuel ok the floor. Sometimes it doesn’t happen for a few days and all of a sudden it justs dumps the fuel whilst sat doing nothing...

They floats seem ok, if they were at incorrect heights or whatever surely it would just overflow straight away?

I’ve had this recently on my 500. At first I thought I left the fuel tap on, but realised that the fibre washers in the petcock housing had failed and were leaking fuel through the tap down into the carbs. They would then overflow onto the garage floor.

Quick test is to lift the fuel tank, and place it on a flat surface with a tray under the petcock. If the petcock is switched off but fuel starts gathering in the tray, there’s the source of the problem.

Hope this helps.

I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal