Author Topic: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer  (Read 53538 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer
« Reply #375 on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:19 PM »
Got my other fork lower back that got recoated so managed to bolt the front end up today. I’ve been soaking all my rubber bits in wintersgreen, has worked perfectly in the carb boots but the gators which were so hard I couldn’t get them on have now gone a bit too soft. Anyone know of any methods to shrink rubber? It’s saggy where it seals round the top.

Other than that I’m happy with how the front end is looking

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:46:20 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 22, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
Been working on the electrics today, think I’ve got everything sorted bar the switchgear stuff. Wheels are currently getting trued and feel like I need to be sat on the bike to drill the holes for the cables (I’m going to wire the controls inside the bars).

Think I’ve got the basic routing sorted

Here’s the battery box with the blade fuse box I knocked up

I’ve done the starter safety bypass on the loom with a jumper cable, but I’ll probably remove the block connector and come up with a neater solution when it’s tested

m

Can someone confirm the correct routing for the cables from the alternator? Seem to remember this is how it was when I stripped it down but it’s going to be dangerously close to the chain. Perhaps that wire retainer tab is on the wrong crank case bolt?

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 24, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »
Carbs rebuilt and back on. Revived the carb boots so they are now nice and soft so easy to get on and off (which I think I’m going to be doing a lot of to get them dialled in!).

Just need the wheels back now so I can drill the bars for the front end electrics and then brakes and drive train. Few other bits but I don’t think it will be too much longer now

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:46:15 AM by Underdog1 »

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 28, 2018, 09:21:54 AM »
Called the bloke who is trying my wheels and fitting tyres, still hasn’t done it and he thinks he won’t have it done until next weekend. So that will be almost 3 weeks..

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »
It's coming along,  nice when you get it on to it's wheels as it feels more like a bike then.

Two posts back,  did you resolve the cable routing near the sprocket? They should all go along that top edge up away from the sprocket,  there's a small capture ledge inside the sprocket cover which would ordinarily keep them out of the way.  The cables all come out of a gap at the top right hand corner in that photo.  You'll see if you look at the cover casting.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »
It's coming along,  nice when you get it on to it's wheels as it feels more like a bike then.

Two posts back,  did you resolve the cable routing near the sprocket? They should all go along that top edge up away from the sprocket,  there's a small capture ledge inside the sprocket cover which would ordinarily keep them out of the way.  The cables all come out of a gap at the top right hand corner in that photo.  You'll see if you look at the cover casting.

Haven’t put the sprocket cover back on yet, just confused why the bendy cable tidy attached to one of the crank case bolts seems to be in the wrong place, but I have a picture of it’s location from when I stripped the bike down so it’s definitely gone back where it was

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
Just because it was in that location when you stripped it, does not mean it's the correct place. 40+ years of previous owners, any one of them could have fitted it incorrectly!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2018, 01:27:53 PM »
Just because it was in that location when you stripped it, does not mean it's the correct place. 40+ years of previous owners, any one of them could have fitted it incorrectly!

Yeah fair one, you able to confirm if that tab is on the right bolt (picture a few pics up)?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 28, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
The loom tab goes on the bolt to the left, tab facing up and the loom and the starter lead run along the top of the cases and exit via the sprocket cover  ;)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 28, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »
I've a picture in Honda's own workshop manual that shows that bolt which you have a clip on as clear of any fittings.

It also shows all the cables routed up along that top ledge just under the engine number.

I'm familiar with putting that cover on as you can juuuuuuust wiggle it in there without having to move anything out of the way. You slide it in there with the cables located inside the cover and it finally drops into place at bottom left corner when it seems like the frame seem is going to prevent it.

What I can't remember is if it has that cable tidy fixed to the top crankcase bolt is there, it's not clear in the photo, but have vague memories of it on that bolt and bent upwards to wrap round the cables above the bolt head.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 28, 2018, 02:43:04 PM »
Crossed over with Trigger there as I was typing reply as her answered.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 30, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »
Had a problem with my tyres, was sent the wrong front tyre (for the second time!) but it had an incorrect sticker on it which stated the correct size but the tyre was different. Unfortunate as now I have to wait for it to be replaced to get the wheels on. Had the rear back and built it up but just seen the tyre is on backwards so have to get that changed too!

Going to look good though.

Had a second rejection letter from the DVLA stating they needed a written letter stating why I didn’t have the import cert (which I had sent them) gave them a call and it turns out they also need proof of purchase.

Annoying as instead of just emailing or calling you they wait 2 weeks then send the entire document pack along with the payment back to you and then take another two weeks to get back to you once you’ve returned it  >:(

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 30, 2018, 04:27:58 PM »
There looking smart so will be worth it in the end.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 30, 2018, 09:43:49 PM »
There looking smart so will be worth it in the end.

Cheers mate, would have rather blacks spokes but they were more hassle than they were worth. Should I be restaking the rear wheel bearing retainer and hub bearing retainer? Nothing mentioned in hondamans book about it
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:09:53 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 30, 2018, 10:17:48 PM »
I did re-stake mine Just gave it a sharp belt with a punch.
The spokes soon go black if you don't clean them.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal