Author Topic: Console (idiot lights) cover wanted  (Read 2918 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Console (idiot lights) cover wanted
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 07:00:46 PM »
Looks like the cover is secured by csk wood screws rather than cross head ones and it looks like the top lug is split. The original screws are special ones designed for plastic their part number is: 9390224280 available from Silvers and they are black passivated. Silvers listing states they are 6x10 but that's confusing, well it is to me! Whilst the thread length is 6mm the head size is a number 8 I think. Maybe someone has a better knowledge of screw sizes as I've been asked for these on quite a few occasions and usually when they have found the are 63p each from Silvers. Add to that the P&P and it gets a bit excessive for 3 screws. To that end I'm trying to source screws of the correct type and no doubt they would be like 10p each if a box were bought. Anyone have any idea where to start looking? Incidentally quite a few other SOHC bikes use this console.

I think they are 'thread-forming' screws for plastics Peter. These are not the correct ones but the thread form is probably what's needed. think one tradename is 'Plastite' 1st link is available on request in black but unsure about black passivated zinc or 'Jappaned'

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/874-plastite-30-phillips-countersunk-screws#elasticsearch_id_feature_283610=283610_16&id_elasticsearch_category=874&orderby=ranking&orderway=asc

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/self-tapping-self-drilling-thread-forming-screws/4827483/
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 07:12:10 AM »
Thanks Ash, I'll take a close look as those. I did find some on another site but a minimum order of 5000 was way too many!

Not bothered about the finish, a spot of black paint on the if BZP.

Thanks again

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 08:13:26 AM »
Thanks Ash, I'll take a close look as those. I did find some on another site but a minimum order of 5000 was way too many!

Not bothered about the finish, a spot of black paint on the if BZP.

Thanks again

Gateros plating do sell the black passivate chemicals for zinc  but its a lot more expensive than the the other finishes. Allenchrome near me only do yellow chromate, bright chromate & olive drab finishes to zinc plating unfortunately.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 07:48:18 AM »
Once again, what a great site this is:-).
Trigger, thank you for looking and your reply.
Piki, Thank you and PM sent.

If you have not found one yet. Here is a link to some new ones >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB400-F-Warning-Light-Cover-Ignition-Oil-Neutral-CB400f-400-four-/121961554081

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal