Author Topic: cb500 four coil suppliers  (Read 7649 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: cb500 four coil suppliers
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
If you look inside the headlight shell, see what colour wires feed /return from the kill switch, and either test the supply wire then the return wire for voltage ( a 12v bulb and a couple of bits of wire will suffice for the test) or join the loom wires that feed the switch together, and check for a spark then. If you get no joy, try putting a live straight from the battery to the power feed of the coils if you haven't already tried that. One more possibility, you say new points, did you clean the surfaces of the points before fitting them? As Honda and a few others coat then in a corrosion inhibiting wax/greasy stuff to stop them rusting in storage, and this MUST be cleaned off by a bit of wet+ dry, then pull a bit of clean rag through them to remove any grit, the stuff they coat them with is a sh*tty conductor! :o
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »
ASlso with new points are you sure you have the wire connectors and insulators in the correct places?

Offline LesH

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
Update......... I've just ordered JIS drivers on Amazon (although I won't get them for a few days). 
Spacers....... I'm sure they're correct but now you've sewn that seed of doubt I will double check !
Kill switch......... Will trace and test wiring inside headlight.
Today.......... Back aches, knee aches but will endeavour, given half a chance, to get out there again later and follow up on all these latest suggestions !!
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Offline LesH

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
Continuing saga.........managed to get five mins to myself.

"hairygit" test.  Inside headlight shell traced kill switch wire and with light bulb confirmed that switch operates correctly.
Cleaned and checked new points surfaces to confirm clean and good, spacers in correct position.

"seabeeowner" test.  With points open and red + of lamp on moving part of points, black - to earth, ignition on, should light up........... but didn't.
Test for +12v reaching coils......... good, test lamp lights.
Test direct from battery to coils to lamp across points.......... no light (or spark come to that).
It's beginning to point to both the coils methinks.     Is it normal for both to fail at the same time ??
(Perhaps an order to Wemoto or M & P for replacements as earlier suggested)

JIS drivers ordered I've discovered are coming from Japan so won't be here until Oct I'm told (serves me right for not looking properly).  I do have the original tool kit but was unaware that they were JIS and it turns out that my two embroidery machines (from Japan) already came with JIS drivers !!  C'est la vie.

Any other ideas appreciated ???   :-\
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 08:30:29 PM »
Up to you but if you want to send me them I will test them on the 'Ashimoto' coil tester as seen in my scary video.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »
I still say check the position of wires and insulators where the blue and yellow wires connect

Offline LesH

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
That's very kind of you Ash.  I've seen your workshop setup on Youtube and it's enough to disturb Dr Frankenstein.  If you could email me your address and I'll remove the coils and get them into the post next week hopefully. (Life is a bit "full on" at the moment !!)

As Bryanj say's, I shall also double check the insulators.

Thank you all.
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
That's very kind of you Ash.  I've seen your workshop setup on Youtube and it's enough to disturb Dr Frankenstein.  If you could email me your address and I'll remove the coils and get them into the post next week hopefully. (Life is a bit "full on" at the moment !!)

As Bryanj say's, I shall also double check the insulators.

Thank you all.

No problem: Is OK for us that work with electronics/electrics everyday but it can be daunting if it's not your game.

I will PM the address now...if you had been closer to me I would have popped over ...you must be sick & tired of it by now.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline LesH

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2016, 12:52:06 PM »
Attn for Bryanj..........

Looking at my points insulator assembly setup for 1&4 (ditto 2&3) runs as follows :- running from the nut I have  1>nut / 2>spring wash / 3>plain wash / 4>insulating wash / 5>blue (or yellow) & condenser wires / 6>cont brkr back plate / 7>insulator wash / 8>cont brkr spring / 9>screw hd 

How does that look ?   :)
(In the Haynes book it doesn't actually identify the insulating washers from plain ones ?)
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »
Its wrong, the insulating washers should be either side of the back plate bracket so that the bolt AND NONE OF THE WIRES of contact breaker spring connects to it

Starting from the inside
bolt head
steel washer
contact breaker spring
insulating washer
back plate post
insulating washer
condenser wire
blue/yellow wire
steel washer
spring washer
nut
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 01:30:54 PM by Bryanj »

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2016, 01:44:42 PM »
I think there should also be a tiny insulating spacer that sits in the middle of the hole in the points back plate, to ensure the bolt doesn't come in to contact with it.

Offline LesH

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
Thank you each for that........... I'm going out to play with it again now and let you know how I get on.   ;D
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »
Normally one of the insulators is "top Hat" shaped to fit the hole

Offline LesH

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
Well, thank you all for that.  I feel such a fool  :-[ ......... it's running again. (Between, "can you take me to Waitrose" and "can you take me to the nail bar").

Absolutely right; the insulators I'd put back in the wrong position. So now all I have to do is take a road trip during the week to see if the behaviour is any better and then an MOT.  I doubt myself now as to whether it was just dodgy fuel that gave me so much grief and I turned it into a "make work" project ?  ::)

Thank you once again Ash for your kind offer and hopefully you'll never have to dirty your hands on my coils !!!
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2016, 05:55:55 PM »
Hmm, I assumed you had replaced the points/condensors exactly how they were on the old ones! Never mind, all sorted now!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal