Author Topic: Castolin Portable Brazing Kit  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Castolin Portable Brazing Kit
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:14:03 PM »
Has any got a Castolin Portable Brazing Kit? If so are they any use? General stuff, not thinking of going into business!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Castolin Portable Brazing Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
I haven't used one of these sets and don't know your own level of experience with brazing, but some thoughts on it are; it looks OK and from reading about the gases used appears to offer the heat range you'd need.
I've only used oxy acetylene for brazing and you can for example up the flame tip size if you are working on a frame that sucks in a lot of heat and may prevent you getting the joint up to temp to get the braze flowing well into the joint, that's going to be a suck it and see situation with the work pieces you intend to construct.
It appears to be focused toward heating and chilling engineers that would suggest the work pieces could not be that hefty so if that's the sort of stuff you're after it should be OK.
If you're not aware of it, it's worth using a good flux as it makes the whole process alot easier to carry out as the flow into the joint is more consistent without having to chase it with too much heat in the first place.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
It appears to be focused toward heating and chilling engineers...
With the Rothenberger Roxy 400L I'm using a quite similar kit in just such a trade (refrigeration & a/c):

http://www.ebay.at/itm/ROXY-400L-HARTLOET-UND-KLEINSCHWEISSGERAET-Rothenberger-/110365237315

Note the larger, 3ltr oxygen tank on this, providing durability...
Also have the adaptor for the smaller, disposable oxy "cartridges" as seen on the Castolin, but only as emergency backup as they empty really quick! I can do 2, maybe 4 joints with that small oxy tank...
Another issue are ambient temperatures on the butane cans; for safety the gas is dissolved in acetone (the liquid you notice when shaking the container), if its colder the avail gas flow, thus flame size and therefore the performance drops drastically...
When nearly empty the acetone (or something else inside) seem to foam-up, so the burner starts to spit droplets, yet even stalls due to the clogging... so always have a fresh, spare can around.
Quality of tank connectors & valves is also not the best; I've the routine to always remove the valve from the butane bottle, to avoid the stench (and possible fire risk) in the panel van/lorry...

Definitely OK for brazing copper lines, even up to 28mm fittings, I love it over its compactness and low weight, but not sure about using it as substitute for a real acetylene welding kit on thing like a steel motorcycle frame... might take just too long to reach the melting point of the steel and the wire...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:31:15 PM »
Thanks Guys. That's a great help, some good information and advice. Will probably be ok for what I want. Basic stuff in my garage so should be good enough. (He said hopefully!!!).  :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal