Author Topic: And we thought NOS HM300's were expensive !!  (Read 1808 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: And we thought NOS HM300's were expensive !!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »
It makes the £6.52 I paid for a 2.8 x 15mm o-ring last week appear like a bargain!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:06 AM »
Those are pipes for a Z900 A4 and not even those for a Z1
cheers, Uli

Online JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 10:39:14 AM »
Jesus. That's madness.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »
Ye Gods, One wonders what the cost of making these for  Kawasaki would be, (I suppose the people who have had batches of replica systems made and chromed will have an idea), if they can get £4k a pop then it has to be worth their while to do a batch, surely, especially if they haven't scrapped the tooling. They'll sell themselves, unlike motorbikes, ATVs, jetskis etc which have to be marketed.

The same goes with Honda and HM300's - there is currently a new lower right one on eBay for 1000 Eu. What happens if/when mine rust through I have no idea, Yamiya have a NOS set for half a bleedin million yen, about £3,800, or a scratched set for only 300k yen.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:34:05 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
Ye Gods, One wonders what the cost of making these for  Kawasaki would be, (I suppose the people who have had batches of replica systems made and chromed will have an idea), if they can get £4k a pop then it has to be worth their while to do a batch, surely, especially if they haven't scrapped the tooling. They'll sell themselves, unlike motorbikes, ATVs, jetskis etc which have to be marketed.

The same goes with Honda and HM300's - there is currently a new lower right one on eBay for 1000 Eu. What happens if/when mine rust through I have no idea, Yamiya have a NOS set for half a bleedin million yen, about £3,800, or a scratched set for only 300k yen.

Think we are lucky with the Yamiya NoNo pipes Dave, as the are really good quality mde in Japan. I have a set of the final production Genuine  HM300's but if I didn't have them I would definitely use Yamiya ones. Problem with Yamiya is they don't stock parts for the 500/4 (other than parts common to the 400/4 like primary chain etc). Also their 400/4 downpipes are not double skinned, which is a shame.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:09:53 PM »
Utterly nuts. To think I got into older bikes because they were cheap as chips transport. I think I spent less on my cb500 sidecar bike even including the tyres and parts over the years still cost less than those pipes. Bung on a motad and enjoy being able to thash the bike on the way to work every day without worrying about rain ruining the chrome! Or am I just odd?
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:47:45 PM »
Think we are lucky with the Yamiya NoNo pipes Dave, as the are really good quality made in Japan.

True, at least I know I can get a new set for about a grand, what's the difference between the Yamiya ones and the Lotus Root pipes? (apart from the LR ones being 'not for highway use' - type approval issues? Noise?) I'm guessing, though others on here will know, that 20Kg postage from Japan costs a few quid.

I suppose that as long as enough of us are using / restoring our bikes, and 'consuming' pipes that it will be worth while making them. I wonder why Honda don't see it like that.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 11:12:27 PM »
Think we are lucky with the Yamiya NoNo pipes Dave, as the are really good quality made in Japan.

True, at least I know I can get a new set for about a grand, what's the difference between the Yamiya ones and the Lotus Root pipes? (apart from the LR ones being 'not for highway use' - type approval issues? Noise?) I'm guessing, though others on here will know, that 20Kg postage from Japan costs a few quid.

I suppose that as long as enough of us are using / restoring our bikes, and 'consuming' pipes that it will be worth while making them. I wonder why Honda don't see it like that.

The lotus root ones were only for sandcasts Dave. Dave Silver, Saisei and FreddieTheFatfrog sell or can get Yamiya ones. Suppose in the sceme of things a few hundred sets of pipes/year is peanuts from the mighty Honda.

Offline Aly-b

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
Wonder if he throws in a bike for free.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal