Author Topic: cb550 neutral rattle! Is This Primary Chain Shot?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
cb550 neutral rattle! Is This Primary Chain Shot?
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:41:08 PM »
Hey guys.
was riding today when by bike started making a loud ratcheting tick in neutral from the clutch/gearbox area, only in neutral though, as soon as shifted into 1st or 2nd it ceases completely.
sounds alot like when your kickstarter is pushed down after the engine is started, only quieter.
I pulled off the pan, there is no debris in it and no glitter in the oil.
Could it be the clutch needs replacing? seems odd to only make noise in neutral.

Whilst i had the pan off, i thought it may be the primary chain, upon inspection, there seems alot of play, if i push against it, it'll make contact with the case.
Is This Shot?
Im currently uploading a video to show you guys.

Am i best pulling out the engine to change the primary chain and see if i can find the cause of the clutch area noise?

https://youtu.be/8_DFhw43K4Q. VIDEO OF PRIMARY CHAIN HERE
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:06:59 PM by philgresty »

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: cb550 neutral rattle! Is This Primary Chain Shot?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
check the carb balance,

that can help
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:33:17 PM »
carbs were synced yesterday and are perfect, its a different kind of noise to the unbalanced one.
like a ratcheting click, and completely dissappears when shifted into gear, but not when i pull the clutch in

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »
If the chain contacts the cases, it's knackered! Continue to run it at your own peril, you'll probably find the inside if the cases looking like they've been attacked by a chainsaw!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »
surely i can rule out the primary chain hitting the cases as being the noise? as it only does it in neutral.
Iv not heard any noise from it contacting the cases, only noticed it when i took the sump off to investigate.

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Phil, the noise IS the chain hitting the case. There will be noise of course from the chain itself but it's running in a bath of oil so any noise it makes is muted by that oil. The reason the noise goes away when it's in gear is because when in neutral the chain is not under any load so it lashes around, as soon as you select a gear the chain now has to pull the gearbox shafts and the rest of the clutch around as well and that tightens it up enough for the chain to stop hitting anything. You see the same effect on the rear chain, accelerate and it goes rigid, roll off the throttle and you can see the chain go slacker.

Replace the primary drive rubbers as well when you replace the chain or it will have a much shorter life.

At the moment the damage it is doing is fairly minimal, if it was really bad you'd be seeing little flecks of alloy in the oil, however it does need doing sooner rather than later, maybe a job for the winter

Hey man, the noise gets louder and faster if i rev it still in neutral, does that still make sense that the primary chain is hitting, i would think it would tighten up and maybe stop as i revved it even in neutral

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »
If you leave it rattling it will eventually wear through the oil galler from pump to filyer and/or the main cross gallery either of which is terminal

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
Right guys, i now know what the rattle was, the kickstart shaft wasnt fully disengaging, the teeth are slightly touching, i can see them hitting as i turn the engine by hand. Makes sense as i thought the noise was a kickstart one but quieter. Im going to whip it out and either replace or figure out what has gone erong with it.
Iv had my fingers up through the sump and i cant feel anywhere the primary chain has rubbed, nor is there any glitter/debris in the oil so i think ill do the primary chain in the winter months rather than now.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »
If it's the kickstart shaft why does the noise go away when the bike is in gear?

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
Im not fully sure, it goes away as soon as i shift, but then comes back as soon as i bring up the revs in gear.
i came across another post where a guy had the exact same symptoms and his too was the same problem.

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:50:22 PM »
I went to look at a CB550K3 today which had exactly the same clatter as my current K3 and the one I had back in 1988. I assume it is the primary drive chain but my question is do I have top remove the engine to replace it? - and yes my carbs are prettl well balanced.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 08:54:44 PM »
You have to split the crank cases to replace a primary chain.

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 06:47:40 AM »
The question was do I have to take the engine out of the frame or can I just take the cover off without removing it?
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 08:06:08 AM »
The question was do I have to take the engine out of the frame or can I just take the cover off without removing it?

Yep, engine out and split the crank case

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »
Dumb question. I didn't realise the chain was internal. Yes I have to take the engine out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal