SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Running rich and would like some advice

(1/5) > >>

Honda Al:
Hi all,

My CB500 K1 is running rich and I need some advice with where I can go next. All four plugs are sooty, all four have the same appearance. The exhausts are sooty at the ends. The bike will start without the need for choke, and although it runs it always sounds and feels lumpy, especially the lower rev range. Fuel consumption has increased. The bike is standard.

This is what I have done so far -

Clear tube test to determine fuel/float levels. They settle ~2mm below the top of the float bowl. Also used a gauge to set the floats 22mm.
The carbs have 40pilots and 100 mains. All clean and in place.
Air mixture screws are 1 +1/8 turned out.
If you apply the choke whilst running it gets worse, and I removed the air filter and it rode marginally better.

What next steps can I take or do to determine why she is running rich?

Thanks, Alan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnwebley:
check your ignition timing,it may be retarded,

are you using points? or electronic" pointless"  ignition>

also,try turning the air screws out 1/4 turn at a time,see what happens,

my CB500 has the same jets etc,with electronic system,but runs with a 33thou plug gap,and airscrew over 2 turns out,since
balancing the carbs with gauges ,I have gone from 10miles per litre,to 12miles per litre,

an extra 20 miles further before going on reserve ,

Honda Al:
Using electronic ignition. I'll take a look at the plug gap and try turning the screws out some more.

Cheers, alan.

deltarider:
I'd say the airfilter, but if you say it runs just marginally better without...

--- Quote --- and 100 mains. All clean and in place.
--- End quote ---
The little O-rings around the main jets, are they still good and do they seal well?

Honda Al:

--- Quote from: deltarider on September 02, 2016, 07:53:54 PM ---I'd say the airfilter, but if you say it runs just marginally better without...

--- Quote --- and 100 mains. All clean and in place.
--- End quote ---
The little O-rings around the main jets, are they still good and do they seal well?

--- End quote ---

It's sharper on the throttle response, but still don't need the choke to start it.

I've replaced the little o rings and they sit well in the hole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version