Author Topic: Cb550 k3 restoration almost complete  (Read 1241 times)

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Cb550 k3 restoration almost complete
« on: September 11, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
started work on the bike over 8 mths ago,stripped the whole lot down,as you do.with the bike lying in a garage for over 26 yrs everything rubber had either perished or became brittle,the to-do list was long but not just as costly as originally thought but dear enough.just finished rebuilding the engine with new seals/rings etc.Its not done yet tho and still got a few things to renew but its dam good to finally hear it running! still got carbs to balance and ignition timing to check with strobe. no 4 torpedo is shot to bits while no 3 is loud (i gathered it would be with the pile of rust i got out of it).it`ll take it bit yet to get it finished but theres now light at the end of a long tunnel.progress here....https://youtu.be/NbyrdmwpQfc

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Cb550 k3 restoration almost complete
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
Looking good, well done on a lot of work.
I have been doing the 550F1 and thought it would all be finished by May, but it's missed the Summer and will wait until next year before getting it on the road.
Just starting on my 1978 K4 (didn't know there was a K4 until recently, but I think it is identical apart from seat). Hope my silencers are intact (they are Sankei,s, I presume not original, but aftermarket) as it's a shame to patch or put a 4/1 on it. But replacement is an expensive add on at the end.
What paint did you use on the crankcases and block?
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:48:54 PM »
Sankei made the original equipment exhausts for many Honda bikes, so they are probably original.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline bigmockuk

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:47:37 PM »
Hi seabeowner i just used a few cans of gloss engine enamel (simonez) from ebay.most of the original stuff had flaked off with white powder corrosion underneath.i would ideally liked to have gotten it all off and attempt to restore engine but the rest of it was a bugger to remove so scrapped off what i could,sanded the rest smooth as poss and resprayed.It gives really good coverage and is quite thick so covers up any scrapes or marks left from sanding etc.looks good too.i was lucky enough to salvage two pipes,the third is good n solid and i would stick with it if there is a way to quiet it down a bit.no 4 tho has gone.got it bandaged and metal taped up just to hear/test the bike.ebay had one for £90 need to check if its still there.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal