Author Topic: Solar powered lamps in remote garage - question for Ash?  (Read 1365 times)

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Solar powered lamps in remote garage - question for Ash?
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »
In my new house I have a garage in a block. It's not far away (about 50m) but I cannot dig up the tarmac and lay a power cable.
I'm thinking of solar power and LED lamps.
Anyone any experience with these low-power panels and the battery chargers that come with them?
There are plenty available from Maplin, Amazon etc - I want one that will last a good while and power 6 to 8 LED lamps (of about 5W each)

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Solar powered lamps in remote garage - question for Ash?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 10:06:31 AM »
Sorry Steve not used any of those but I reckon if the solar panel is large enough they should be OK
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:06:28 PM »
I'll start by stating that I'm nowhere near the caliber of Ash in electronics matters but have been researching and using things that may have some relevance to your application Steve.

Specifically I've been working for someone with a remote field for which we've used charged 12v batteries to maintain stock control fencing and also looking now at supplying some remote feedstock huts with reasonable lighting for the winter.
The batteries used are of a leisure type that take a deep discharge and specifically don't need to crank out big amps to start an engine but are much more tolerant of being used over a wider range of depletion and are ideally suited to a long slow recharge from a solar panel.
If you use the battery to buffer the solar output then you can use a cheaper lower output panel to keep the battery operating.
The main user of this type of system are caravan people who I'd guess you'd get some decent evaluations from as they do like offering reviews. They will of course use full led interior lighting kit as well, so again maybe a good source of reviews.

Battery supply I'd look at Tayna batteries for good cost, choice and mega efficient delivery.

If you go with this type of system you need to sit the battery on a piece of polystyrene as when used to any significant level of discharge it's easier to freeze the water inside them.

Hope this helps Steve.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »
Same situation here Steve, I have 2 of the  security ones about to come back in stock in Lidl. £8 each, take 3xAA rechargeable batteries which are included, can be set for auto pir operation or on / off. I tend to leave them on pir auto, about dusk they need the solar panel covering or charging plug pulling as they think it is light, but inside the shed it isn't light. I have had mine a year now, excellent little lights, all self contained and even an electrical numpty like me can bung em in inside a half hour. Nice and bright, good few hours working time even in winter with typical Welsh weather. I would think I should really put 4 of them up for decent workshop lighting but I make do with 2 plus a few LED battery worklights.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »
Steve. I've used similar LED's to these in the back of my Van and they give an INCREDIBLE amount of light for very low power consumption.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Ultra-Bright-Car-LED-Light-Kit-30-LED-Interior-Lamp-For-LWB-Van-Transit-VW-/182108446799?hash=item2a6682604f:g:cCsAAOSw~oFXIJhu

I'd suggest running something like this on a 12V leisure battery - may be worth getting a couple of batteres and leave one in the house on triockle charge. Then just carry the battery to and from the garage to change over when needed.

James.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:10:02 PM »
I would put a 80w solar panel on the roof, to a decent charge controller and a 12v 120ah deep cycle battery and go from there. It should be good for years. All available from eBay

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »
If the panel is in shade at all or through the winter you will get very little power,hence the largish battery.
I have 200w of panel on the roof of my camper and in winter it can struggle.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal