Author Topic: 'Preserve Nature Blah Blah' stickers. What year were they introduced?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
I got two different colurs of these in a 'decal' kit from Yamiya for the 750K0 but I don't believe that the K0 was ever fitted with the fuel tank 'Preserve Nature' sticker. The only bike I own which I think should have one is my '75 400F. Most of my bikes are '69's but I have  '71 CB175 & 500K0, which I assume never had the sticker? Anyone know when they were introduced? I don't think the original sticker on my Varnish Blue 400/4 tank was clear coated over.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 'Preserve Nature Blah Blah' stickers. What year were they introduced?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:32:22 AM »
I do not know when were introduced but I think that  750 K0 models not cames with "remember/preserve" decal, I have kit for that model without that decal..........
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:40:41 AM by Piki »

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 11:05:59 AM »
Parts list for the 500 shows both K0 and K1 had a sticker.
Parts list for the 750 shows K1 and K2 had the sticker but not the version identified only as CB750 (assume K0).
In both cases several stickers are listed, use according to market.
I'm sure I read somewhere (maybe on here, but can't find it) that stickers / decals such as these were not clear coated over as they were market-specific so applied afterwards.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:33:11 AM by Chris400F »

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
Parts list for the 750 shows K1 and K2 had the sticker but not the version identified only as CB750 (assume K0).

And just to muddy the water a bit more, the book shows, for both the K1 and K2 the same part number with 'A' or 'B' after it,  I assume this is the black or white sticker, and 3 different numbers for different markets, one covers Germany and Holland (German, Dutch or both?), one is for France and the other must be the English language one which is used in all the other markets.

I have seen a picture of an allegedly original US gold bike with a black sticker, I have tried black and white on my blue K1  but have gone for black as it is less shouty.

I do, of course, preserve nature at all times, as the sticker says I must.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:30:35 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »
And just to muddy the water a bit more, the book shows, for both the K1 and K2 the same part number with 'A' or 'B' after it,  I assume this is the black or white sticker, and 3 different numbers for different markets, one covers Germany and Holland (German, Dutch or both?), one is for France and the other must be the English language one which is used in all the other markets.
The 'A' and 'B' suffix sounds logical. I looked again at the 500 Parts List and this gives more info (parts 31, 32, 33 are the stickers).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
I know what the good book says but if you look in the service manual. Based on early crankcase like my 3/71 K0 No evidence of a tank sticker. My original tank had no evidence it had ever had one either. James has had a couple of early K0's .. maybe he knows. Sounds good to me ...dont want to foul up Menno's perfect Candy Jet Green paintwork !

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:59:51 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 07:37:00 AM »
Maybe the american market didn't get the sticker Ash, if yours is an import that would explain why it's not on OR they did tend to lift up on the corners as they weren't under the lacquer so maybe it was removed by the PO for that reason, done carefully you'll never know it had been there.

A is the white sticker with B being the black version BTW.

Yes USA model <1000 VIN, so convinced it should not have the sticker like the early VIN in the service manual and hence I won't fit one. Interesting that the early crankcases are not listed as a different P/N either . Evidently in the US there was a lawsuit  over the dodgy gearchange/gearbox problems. Obviously, buyers didn't want to buy the original model with dodgy gearchange but dealers were trying to pass off '71's as '72's and there was some kind of lawsuit over it. Or something like that.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 11:51:49 AM »
Ash - both of my 'early' square case 500 K0's didn't have the sticker fitted if that's any help?. I'm confident they weren't fitted to these early K0's...

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
Ash - both of my 'early' square case 500 K0's didn't have the sticker fitted if that's any help?. I'm confident they weren't fitted to these early K0's...
Is that because of the no helmet law in some states of the USA?, if you don't need to wear a helmet, why have a sticker ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:32:40 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »
That might explain why the selection mechanism was changed from the K1 onwards.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=14675.0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal