Author Topic: Refitting carbs help required  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Refitting carbs help required
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »
I always fit the carbs to the inlet first then attach the air box. I also found a drop of washing up liquid on the finger and rubbed around the rubber helps it slip in without to much resistance.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »
550F3 ones at £6.90p each, wish they sold genuine 750F2 rubbers for that price. Snap their hands off whilst they are there. Come to that the genuine 350F rubbers are £23.10p each that's going to be about £100 for 4 delivered. Ouch.
I wonder what the quality of the 'Aftermarket Part' version they sell is like?
They would most likely have fitted these to any rebuilds they did that needed them (having looked at some of the lists of parts fitted to their rebuilt bikes pretty much all parts used were pattern versions) so I would have thought probably OK.
At £38.40 for a set of four that is a lot less than £100, should you need them.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 03:36:30 PM »
To be honest Chris, if you look at the pictures of the DSS genuine items they look pretty rough as well. Not sure how these things are constructed so will have a really good look at them come weekend. If they have central reinforcement they may be okay inside.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »
550F3 ones at £6.90p each, wish they sold genuine 750F2 rubbers for that price. Snap their hands off whilst they are there. Come to that the genuine 350F rubbers are £23.10p each that's going to be about £100 for 4 delivered. Ouch.
I wonder what the quality of the 'Aftermarket Part' version they sell is like?
They would most likely have fitted these to any rebuilds they did that needed them (having looked at some of the lists of parts fitted to their rebuilt bikes pretty much all parts used were pattern versions) so I would have thought probably OK.
At £38.40 for a set of four that is a lot less than £100, should you need them.

I did ask DS once but he wouldn't give me any tech info and just said 'sold lots never had any returns' so I voted with my feet and ordered new Honda ones from a guy in Italy

My spare 500 ones are winging their way to Rich (RGP750)  but 550K3 ones still up for grabs. I think, to work properly these rubbers need to be soft and still elastic, so that the metal clamps can suitably clamp against the carbs/inlet stubs and maintain sealing during extremes of temperature. The Genuine CB750  one I had analysed was found to be made from an enhanced grade of nitrile rubber, that is compounded to give good petrol resistance.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:27:21 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »
I was told on here that you couldn't get k3 rubbers. I ordered some listed on eBay and they weren't correct.

Red rubber grease is ok, warming can help, but expect it to take some effort regardless of the assembly order.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 01:23:55 AM »
I have had my carbs on and off so often recently I found a easy method but may be hard to describe.

Take off the air filter box and with your pinkies push the filter side rubbers back in to the air box . You do not need to push them all the way through in to the airbox just back so they rotate on the second lip.

This will give you much more clearance for sliding the carbs in and out.

Once you have slid the carbs in which is so much easier now you have some extra clearance you can then pull the rubbers back out of the airbox with a pull/ rotate motion and then fit them on to the carbs

Using this method I can have the carbs in and out in 30 mins without skinning my knuckles or cussing very loudly
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal