Author Topic: Engine teardown and inspection  (Read 13166 times)

Offline cantarauk

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Engine teardown and inspection
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »
Hi,

I have changed the images to a different location so hopefully everyone can now see these.

Glenn

Offline cantarauk

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 06:33:48 PM »
Hi,

Here are more images which show the end journals which while not as bad as the cam chain tunnel there is still wear.

Oddjob - I take it the hermetite is not good ! I will also try and get more images of the cam chain tunnel as you mentioned this has damage from broken chain. I am replacing all chains as a matter of caution as I have discovered a chain link in the oil pan and do not trust what is already there.

The camshaft does not look damaged to me but I will again get some more images for the community to best advise.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »
That link you found is from the primary chain, dread to think what could happen if one let go while being ridden! :o
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline cantarauk

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »
Yup, Will be going through the bottom end this week which is the last bit to tear down. On initial inspection there did not seem to be much wrong there or even a missing link.

Offline cantarauk

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply Oddjob I will have a closer look at the camshaft sprocket when I get the chance but don't remember seeing any damage while I was removing and quickly inspecting.

Depending on how I get on with a contact I have been put in touch with who could possibly do some machining magic to machine the bearing out  and replace with inserts as mentioned by matthewmosse I may have to ask if you are prepared to part with one of those heads ?

I am hoping to hear back this week and have explained in detail what it is I am after. It will possibly be the cost that puts me off since I have a list of expenses that are coming up.

Glenn

Offline cantarauk

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »

I have been taking my time and have now completely stripped down the engine ready for a very good clean and then individual part inspection.

I was asked earlier to get some pictures of the cam cover and camshaft so that you can see what they look like compared to what the bearing surfaces looked like. Images below of both which to my unprofessional eye do not seem marked/damaged or at least as marked/damaged as the surfaces on the head. The camshaft seems to be in good order but could someone guide me as to how I go about testing both the bearings and the cam shaft. Would it be possible to use plastiguage here to detect and issues ?

Lastly, below are more images of the engine as I completed the strip down if you can see anything that stands out please please do not hesitate comment.

Glenn

Offline cantarauk

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »
Hi Oddjob,

I have taken more pictures please see below:

and then of the camshaft( let me know if this is the angle you meant)

Offline cantarauk

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »
Oddjob - Excuse my naivety and this is just purely for my own interest but how would one go about servicing the cam cover ?

The rockers look to be in good condition but I have nit yet taken these apart and will have closer inspection once I go to that section. But see images I have below

I will be sure to post more images this weekend once I have cleaned the rockers up better. I have plastiguage at my disposal and am wondering if that would help with determining the condition of the cam bearings ?

Then I also have images of crankshaft journals which again look somewhat worn but would appreciate any input.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:55:14 PM by cantarauk »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 07:52:14 AM »
Well those are better.

The rocker I can see looks ok, the other is too dark to make out properly.

The cam is scored, it may be that whatever marked the cylinder head lodged there and just scored the cam as it went past. The camcover doesn't really show the same markings so it looks like whatever caused the scoring didn't fly around the journal, may have been a piece of dirt left in the journal when the cam was dropped into place.

Pic 3 is of the gearbox bearing surfaces, no idea why you included that as those are roller bearings. They look OK by the way.

Pic 4 is worrying, the initial pics of the crank shells disguised the fact they are quite marked, the condition of them is consistent with not changing the oil often enough, hence all the little speckle marks all over the surface, may have been left with very dirty oil in the engine for years which would also do it. The marks though are quite bad, if they are all like that your going to have to fit new shells, sorry. Have you checked the conrod shells yet? Don't mix them up as I've said before.

Why is there only me commenting on this guys, come on weigh in with some opinions.

Sorry mate, I have been following this thread but, find it hard to comment on engines just from photos. Engine running surfaces can be a little bit like a chrome part, looks great in a photo but, up close and personal you see all the defects.
Saying that, most of the running surfaces look damaged in one way or another.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »
Honnest opinion is replace the lot. cam followers look like crap which means i don't trust the cam; head bearings are worn; looks like one piston had metal bits on the top---possibly a broken ring; the two valves shown on there own look god awfull and pocketed and the shells look dirt contaminated Then the biggest horror story is the red hemetite!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
I have nailed together worse and gotten tens of thousands of miles out of them with fair reliability, but have also had better condition engines conk out after not a lot of miles. If it were me I would nail it togther and run as is whilst looking for a better example. That said I have a few spares sat ready so am not in the unfortunate possition of having to buy at todays prices which a quick look at ebay tells me seem to be climbing. You could throw a lot of money at that engine but still be running mostly components that have had a hard life running in dirty oil in all probability. Looked after these engines can look way less worn after 200k on the clock, not looked after I have seen engines from 35k ( recorded milage )  bikes where the engine is totally trashed. Unfortunately the only way to see onmost engines is to buy then open them up and see/ run and fingers crossed, not many engines turn up that are really known good so searching out a better example is a bit of a russian roulette game, you can turn up some duds along the line, though most have some valuable bits in that make long term life with a classic more affordable in the long term if you can store a few parts motors just in case.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 07:40:02 AM »
Honnest opinion is replace the lot. cam followers look like crap which means i don't trust the cam; head bearings are worn; looks like one piston had metal bits on the top---possibly a broken ring; the two valves shown on there own look god awfull and pocketed and the shells look dirt contaminated Then the biggest horror story is the red hemetite!!!
Couldn't agree more. The cam and some of the followers are toast. Going to cost a few bob to put that right. £1000 plus just for the bits me thinks.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 05:21:27 PM »
There are a few pics that show the rocker cam contact area and at least 2 are done for. The cam also shows some damage that would stop me using it again. Can't really see the shells as they are still coated in oil and are a bit reflective.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »
There are a few pics that show the rocker cam contact area and at least 2 are done for. The cam also shows some damage that would stop me using it again. Can't really see the shells as they are still coated in oil and are a bit reflective.

The shells would look OK to a blind man ;D

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »
Hi Oddjob,

I have taken more pictures please see below:

and then of the camshaft( let me know if this is the angle you meant)

OddJob. These are the pictures I was looking at for the cam followers/rockers. Toast I think.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal