Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 538 times)

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
What is this?
« on: June 01, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »
One of those grey boxes at the side of the road.  This particular one is a couple of miles from my house, the road is a A165.  I've passed it many times and wondered what it was for.  There is a small solar panel on the top and the whole thing is no more than 3 feet high.  I'm assuming its a traffic counter, but I really don't know hence the question.  Are any of our members Grey box experts??

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:47:38 PM by cooleronthecoast »
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 02:07:18 PM »
Not an expert but watched a program some years ago that included what they do.

Those bitumen lines in the road are it's scource of information for traffic monitoring.

They can through cadence,  intermitentcy etc, record all different class of vehicles to assemble use profiles for road monitoring.  Obviously with no individual vehicle identification,  so data stripped of traceability.

Online ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
If you opened it there is usually a battery pack inside charged from the cell on top.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 04:58:24 PM »
If you opened it there is usually a battery pack inside charged from the cell on top.

About 30 seconds after I took that photo, a Police car drove past, the coppers stared at me wondering what I was up to but kept on going.  I think perhaps if I had been messing about with the box they might have stopped thinking I was about to vandalise it!     ;)
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal