Author Topic: Frame/Swingarm prep for paint  (Read 95 times)

Offline Mike_Berkshire

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Frame/Swingarm prep for paint
« on: Today at 09:24:01 AM »
Hi all. I have stripped the bike and the next task is the repainting of the frame and swinging arm. I am taking it to a local stove enameller that does bikes and will do the masking. I have removed all brackets, grommets, rubbers, stands, springs and fasteners etc. Only parts still in/on the frame are the rear brake pivot linkage, head bearing cups and shock absorber bushes. Do these all need to be removed too and if so any tips for their removal? Thanks

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Frame/Swingarm prep for paint
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:43:09 AM »
All except the swing arm bushes need to come off, the bushes may or may not be damaged by the heat of stove enameling but they are a swine to push out and in

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:31:28 PM »
I left my swing arm bushes in place on the 400 the powder coating them turn brittle - they virtually fell out so I fitted the brass bushes that NJ sells.

I have no idea if powder coating uses higher temperature than Stove Enameling.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Mike_Berkshire

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:10:14 PM »
The swinging arm bushes are removed and I have a new set of brass ones from Julie to fit after paint (ensuring no paint on outside edge of swingarm tube). Its the bushes for the lower mount of the shock absorbers that are still in place on the swingarm plus the pivot arm for the rear brake and the bearing cups for the headstock in the main frame.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:24:23 PM »
Still take out everything except the lower shack bushes for reasons stated

Offline Mike_Berkshire

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:33:21 PM »
Thanks Bryan. I can see how to remove the other parts apart from the rear brake pivot arm; does the rear brake pivot arm just knock out? I cant see a circlip or anything holding it in but dont want to start bashing it unless Im sure. Also, once the old-style ball races are out of the steering tube, is it worthwhile replacing with a set of taper bearings/races in your opinion or would you stick with the ball races? Thanks again.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:49:47 PM »
If yo meanthe pivot in the frame that the pedal fits on yes it knocks out after swing arm removed.
Personally i only think tapers are worth it if you want the last ounce of performance and handling, tapers can be a pain to fit right and are a real bugger to get the outer races out again! You can get ball races where the balls are in a cage so easier to fit, i think i have seen them on motorcycle products site, yes thats the second time i have mentioned them today and no i dont get anything fo it!

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:51:38 PM »
Personally I would remove the shock bushes and renew them. Would also replace head bearings with standard races as many have had trouble with fitment of taper rollers.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:55:24 PM »
Steering Head Ball Bearing Kit - 013075 on Motorccle Products pages £10.04 inc vat plus postage, check what else you need before order

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:21:06 PM »
I have used the taper roller kits sold by Pyramid Parts without issue, the kit includes a decent lower seal arrangement. I did not use the top seal to avoid any issues with sufficient top threads. I'm not an engineer so made some measurements of the bottom taper roller height to ensure I put the right shim below the bearing. A simple comparison of bearing thickness/height between original plain bearing and taper replacement was straight forwards. I have a cheapish tool that can remove the bottom races without damage.

The shocker bushes can be a pig to remove depending on the level of rusting - deffo take them out before painting.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal