Author Topic: Fork Stanchions / pipes - Re chrome or replace  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Fork Stanchions / pipes - Re chrome or replace
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »
Philpotts will also do the caps in with the price, and if you have a 500 four or 750, they will also do that nice chrome dome on the rear wheel spindle in hard chrome. You lads know the one, the one that some muppet has taken a lump hammer to >:(

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »
Wasnt twice the price in my case ie. Re-chrome £175 plus vat and new at £139 plus vat. Yes they were more expensive but the quality is way better than new, worth every penny....On the legislation front, I was referring to Hexavalent Chromium being banned for decorative chrome from next year, this does not apply to Hard Chrome as there are no alternatives. For decorative chrome they are being forced to use Trivalent Chromium which does not prevent rust or shine as well. The disposal and use of chemicals regulations applies equally to both types. Sorry for the confusion.

Neither trivalant or hexavalant will prevent rust, the shine will only be as good as the preparation of the sub strata, there is no confusion where the regs are concerned.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 07:08:25 AM »
That is correct they are both porous. Trivalant being more so.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
Were all going to die. Were doomed I tell you!!!!
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
No expert but I don't believe hard chrome is porous or anywhere as near porous as decorative chrome. Its done at very high current densities c/w decorative type.

Impressed with my Z650B stanchions done by Phillpots in the late 80's. They quoted me the same for a tiddler though as for CB500 stanchions, so not really economically viable on small bikes. On their stand at Stafford last year  they had some rechromed top nuts ...wasn't really impressed with the finish on those ! but as everyone says, their ground hard chrome is superb.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »
No expert but I don't believe hard chrome is porous or anywhere as near porous as decorative chrome. Its done at very high current densities c/w decorative type.

Impressed with my Z650B stanchions done by Phillpots in the late 80's. They quoted me the same for a tiddler though as for CB500 stanchions, so not really economically viable on small bikes. On their stand at Stafford last year  they had some rechromed top nuts ...wasn't really impressed with the finish on those ! but as everyone says, their ground hard chrome is superb.

Tri - Hex no difference both are full of macro cracks so there is no waterproofing, the substrata for forks needs to be nickel and the decorative needs copper the higher the polished surface the the deeper the shine both tri and hex will give that lovely deep shine if preparation is spot on.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 08:39:34 PM »

Tri - Hex no difference both are full of macro cracks so there is no waterproofing, the substrata for forks needs to be nickel and the decorative needs copper the higher the polished surface the the deeper the shine both tri and hex will give that lovely deep shine if preparation is spot on.

Sounds like you know your onions ..so where would you go for decorative chroming to be done?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 12:20:23 PM »
I know a little, i am a former metallurgical chemist, my last job within the industry was for a international rotogravure printing company that did everything in house, i came away in 2009 without any regrets as the plating game is so hazardous, i could only say London plating will do a good job as they are the only ones i had ever used apart from myself and i took care of any small parts as i had everything i needed at hand supplied free of charge, a nice position to be in at the time, these days i tend to buy new because wherever you go they are up against a mountain of regs, and to make it cheaper minimal amounts of everything goes on just to make it profitable.

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 12:45:45 PM »
When I did my Yamaha RD I had the stanchions done by Philpots because you can't get new/pattern ones for it, fortunately when I did the 400F1 cafe racer I got a new set from DS, I say fortunately because I will NEVER use Philpots again, what was promised as a 3 week job took over 3 months and they constantly lied to me, "they are in op" then a fortnight later "he will be starting them today" , next we had "the guy doing yours is off sick" etc. etc.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »
I have seen various comments about Philpotts on the web and all others have been positive.
I don't know why Bodd had a bad experience but it doesn't seem to be typical.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 03:42:10 PM »
My Triumph tubes took about 6 weeks. About on a par with the other decorative chroming I had done elsewhere. Not Too bad really.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
Someone else from the Aircooled RD Club sent the stanchions and tubes to them for a full refurb and got them back with the drain screws not tightened, they had leaked all over the inside of the box and he had to send them back because he couldn't get the top nuts off to refill them, they did put them right but it doesn't instil confidence.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »
Or they don't like two smokes.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »
Matbe as there are a few dissatisfied Pitted forks/Philpots/AMP Hardchrome customers on the RD club forum.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
I am not privvey to phillpots set up, but i think the turn around times are way too long.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal