Author Topic: *Yawn* Engine paint recommendations  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
*Yawn* Engine paint recommendations
« on: November 03, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »
OK folks, before you shoot me down in flames, I have spent the last few hours researching the forums for paint information. I am ready now to spray my engine and cant find any real hard info on what to use, I know there are lots of different brands and suppliers but no definitive answers to what is best. I see that POR15 is mentioned but this does not say that it is heat resistant or designed for engine use. There is stuff out there that also isn't fuel proof, some that looks good but holds the dirt after a while and some that scratch easily. So is there a one paint does all solutions out there? I only want to do this job once and I want to do it so it lasts.  :-\ :o :(
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline Pops400

• SOHC Member
  • I haven't a clue what I'm doing...
    • View Profile
Re: *Yawn* Engine paint recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
Watching this with interest. Same problem, lots of bits of information, no firm conclusion.
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »
I painted my Moto Guzzi engine with POR15 engine enamel. It is available from Frost Restoration.

I degreased the parts with Jizer, took the corrosion off using Machine Marts own alloy cleaner, gave all the casings a full hot cycle in the dishwasher then treated them with POR15 Metal Ready.

The paint is quite thick and didn't brush on well but I thinned it with white spirits and it sprayed on very nicely. In the 6 years I owned the Guzzi it stayed on perfectly and resisted petrol, degreasing solvents and, on one traumatic occasion, battery acid.

As soon as Photobucket sorts itself out I will post before and after pictures.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 10:03:59 AM »
My guess is that there are no recommendations as to what is 'best' because there is no 'best'.
Different people have used various paints and some have had very good results.
You will probably have seen this thread (http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,9676.msg68249.html) where people have used silver smooth Hammerite.
Not a paint I would even have thought of for an engine but one member had an engine painted with this still looking good after 10 years.
The key to a good result seems to be in the preparation; any one of a number of paint choices should probably then give a good result.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal