Author Topic: 500 engine on eBay  (Read 1070 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 500 engine on eBay
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:04:48 AM »
Maybe I'm out of touch, but £750 for an engine that can't be heard running is about 3 times what its worth in my book, could cost as much again in parts/machining to get it running properly, big gamble if you're mad enough!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:30:32 PM »
Silly money, if anyone is that desperate I have a couple here you can at least hear run and select the gears on if not actually ride the bike. Might be time to clear some space in the shed if that sells at that price.....
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:30:24 AM »
things have changed a lot in twenty years, as I was saying in the other thread DK allowed me to take off the cylinder head and inspect my engine before I would accept it.  In the end they had to send me three different examples.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
They are now typically asking around £425, plus delivery of £50  for a CB350K engine less generator and cover etc. I have found that the best thing to do if you are within 150 miles is have a really  jolly day out and go there and negotiate ...You can even have a snack in their cafe and browse their mini museum display on the same floor. The best deals I have had from them have been done like that (750 barrels & pistons £50, lovely CB500/4 front wheel £50). I wonder what they would say if you turned up there, 'cash-in-hand',  with a few decent spanners and a borescope saying you would buy a high priced engine, pending whipping the cam cover off plus inspecting the bores. Would save them and you a lot of grief further down the line. You have to question though where would we be without them in the UK?  Plus they do have some lovely condition parts and seem a really nice bunch when you meet them in the flesh. As their parts guy said to me "The boss says to me on no account must we upset Mr. Ebay....." Therefore, I have found their returns policy on eBay sales  to be a true no quibble return and more often than not you get to keep the original part they sent you. I can think of much worse traders than them on eBay UK, if I am being honest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB350K-CB350-K-Engine-CB350E-2027772-/351969953019?hash=item51f30b44fb:g:dqkAAOSwnHZYj3hE
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:55:04 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
I would agree with Ash.  When I returned the two engines there was no fuss.

Offline MeilakJ

• SOHC Member
  • Life is what you make it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:30:20 PM »
I have also been there to pick up some parts and I ended up inside the store looking directly in the shelves for parts !!

They were very helpfull , welcoming and also good to deal with directly !!

Next week I will be there again picking up some parts !!

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
500 engine on eBay
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
I have also been there to pick up some parts and I ended up inside the store looking directly in the shelves for parts !!

They were very helpfull , welcoming and also good to deal with directly !!

Next week I will be there again picking up some parts !!

I ended up in the stores once looking for a part for trigger. And agree, nice guys.

When I bought my CL350 they sold it as having a 'solid exhaust'. Not sure if someone forgot their glasses that day but both mufflers had holes you could put a fist through. After a phone call and some photos, they agreed to pay for the repair to make them good. Fell into three figures in the end.

Decent guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal