SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Which Engine Oil should I use ?

(1/10) > >>

Greg H:
I'm building a hot 1000 ,750 based motor .
Can anyone recommend a suitable readily available Engine Oil ? .
Cheers Greg "H"

philgresty:
Anything 10w40 semi synthetic from any major brand really, shell, motul etc.
For break in period after a build, mineral 10w40 is recommended to get everything bedded in, rings seated etc.

Greg H:
Thanks for the reply Phil  ;).
I guess what I was looking for something more specific ,something like a brand of oil which people on here have used succesfully .
I've been doing a bit of digging on the old interweb and come up with what looks like an ideal choice of10/40 mineral oil for my motor .
It's Miller Oils 10/40 mineral running in  oil .
I intend dropping the oil a couple of times after initial start up,and although this motor has cost me an arm and a leg to build ,the cost, suitability and availability of the Miller Oils stuff is looking good .
Cheers Greg "H"

Rozabikes Tim:
Just changed the oil on my 400 to  take it it for a run to  see if any glaring issues before stripping to restore. On the advice of Brian on the forum,  went to Tescos in search of 10/40 standard mineral stuff. Couldn't see exactly that but bought  a "part synthetic". New one on me - spose same or similar to semi...  says older engines / petrol and diesel.  2l for £6.50 too!  Not been out for a good run but seems fine so far.

Greg H:
As I've spent a number of years(and not to mention a small fortune ::)) building this bike as an early1970s  replica pro stock drag bike ,which means that it'll be loud and uncomfortable and totally unsuitable for the road as well as not being road legal(something that wouldn't have bothered me a few years ago ;D ;D)I won't have the luxury of being able to  take it down the road to check if everything is o.k ,
everything will have to be sorted out at home on the driveway ,in the workshop or at the track.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version