Author Topic: Candy gold & candy starlight gold  (Read 7039 times)

Offline Derckey

• What his eyes see, his hands will break..
    • View Profile
Re: Candy gold & candy sartlight gold
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:56:50 PM »
Agree with Green1 that No2 is the Starlight and the rest Candy

Offline triplE675

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
Now I know why my side panels don't match the Tank.

I thought the side panels had faded but no I have a Candy Tank and Sunlight Panels.

More work for Menno When he gets the Paint Match correct for Sunlight Gold.

::)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »
Now I know why my side panels don't match the Tank.

I thought the side panels had faded but no I have a Candy Tank and Sunlight Panels.

More work for Menno When he gets the Paint Match correct for Sunlight Gold.

::)

I noticed the wrong paint and clock when it was for sale. See your head at the engineers, looks very good.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »
No Oddjob, look at the original thread title, it's SARTLIGHT :😂😂😂😂😂
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 10:12:26 PM »
😁😁😁😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 11:56:34 PM »
So, I've been looking and searching a lot the last couple of years for colours and codes.

Does anyone have an ORIGINAL list or a copy from an original list with the correct HONDA codes on candy gold and candy starlight gold?

I'm asking because.. well I have never seen candy starlight gold in my life.

And I've seen a lot of candy gold you can believe me.
This is not a joke.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 06:52:52 AM »
So, I've been looking and searching a lot the last couple of years for colours and codes.

Does anyone have an ORIGINAL list or a copy from an original list with the correct HONDA codes on candy gold and candy starlight gold?

I'm asking because.. well I have never seen candy starlight gold in my life.

And I've seen a lot of candy gold you can believe me.
This is not a joke.

There are no codes for these early paints, just names. Starlight was only used for a very short period, before they moved on to candy gold.

I use a lot of paints from RS paints and also use them as a reference, some are a little hit and miss as it is a little complicated because of the different bikes, with different colours in different countries. >> http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php#makeid=3&modelid=3
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:01:34 AM by Trigger »

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 12:17:32 AM »
What is interesting is that I posted 4 sidepanels from 4 different tanksets and that no one picked the right colour to be candy starlight.

What I was hoping for is that someone would answer: He, they al look about the same to me.

Which they actually do.
I even posted a NOS panell of a 250 Which is sprayed to dark but still is about the same colour.

The sidepanel you've kindly sent me has a perfect match with a candy gold cb 250 tank. (I'll post a picture tomorrow)
As I'm not mistaken the 250 didn't come in starlight, did they?

I wrote a story about how difficult it is to paint a candy colour exactly the same as the original.
Now some colours are easier and some are more difficult.
Difficult: candy gold, candy jade green, antares red, candy bluegreen. Often the lighter colours.

But please think about this:
Honda produced really a lot of those bikes.
I don't know any production numbers but there have been more than thousands I guess.
All these tanks for these bikes were not painted by one man in one day.
No there must have been many different workers in changing conditions. Using each a slightly different technique.
Some could spray a thicker layer of paint than others. Resulting in a darker colour.
Even when the bikes rolled out of the factory there were distinct colour differences.
(It didn't matter as long as the tank was painted at the same time by the same person in the same conditions as the sidepanels.)

Someone from the forum wondered why Honda went through all this trouble with candy paint in the first place.

I can imagine a couple of sets were painted lighter than others. And maybe someone said; 'Well let's call that starlight.'
I'm not saying starlight candy doesn't exist. But I've never seen it in my life.

Let me explain: a different Honda colour has always an unique combination.
I have really no clue what that difference could be with starlight compared to custom gold.
Doesn't mean I give up looking and searching. So if anyone has a starlight gold cover or tank to help out - Please.

Attached I have two pictures of candy antares red. I painted both. One set is obviously painted to dark.
Antares red is a very difficult colour to paint. But even with so much difference everyone still sees both as candy Antares red.
The gold panels I've posted have less of a colour difference.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
Re: Candy gold & candy starlight gold
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 12:24:23 AM »
It says really Sartlight  :o

How did I miss that? ???

Sorry people ... well I fixed it.  :)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 07:22:23 AM »
I have seen loads of Candy gold and a few Starlight original painted sets, and the Candy defiantly has a  larger flake in the paint.
Yes, I understand that a different sprayer will come out with a slightly different result but, how do Yamiya get it right every time ? And not at a bad price of 830 euro for new tank and panels.
I know that Honda never made the tanks, panels or sprayed them. In that case the tank and panels would have come as a set, to keep it looking the same. Did have a low, well looked after, 1 owner, original 750 in once and the panels on the bike looked spot on. But remove the panels and put them side by side, you could see a very slight difference in the colour.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »
It says really Sartlight  :o
How did I miss that? ???
Sorry people ... well I fixed it.  :)

Hi Menno

One odd thing that I've learned over the years about this forum software is that just editing the title of a reply doesn't actually change anything.
You have to correct the original post - from which all replies are directed.

I've edited your first post and all future replies should be correct.

Odd but true...

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
And you lot call me an 'anorak'  ;D ;D ;D ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »
In my service letter book I have several pages of what colours were available on what Honda bikes up to 74 i think, give me time to find it and scan it and i will put it up, Ash you can then add it your emporium if you wish

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 10:54:17 PM »
Got me confused here Menno. Why have you asked for another Starlight panel, you have one, the paint is pretty mint, it's definitely Starlight as I bought it to match a tank I'd bought which my employer had incorrectly ordered thinking it was Candy Custom Gold, it came out of a sealed Honda bag complete with the KC ending to the part number, meaning it's Starlight AND I also have another matching panel which is exactly the same colour.

I've had both colours side by side and I can honestly say they are VERY different, the Custom is more orange, has larger flakes and is far deeper in colour. Starlight looks more metallic than Candy, very small flakes and looks TBH more gold than Custom.

I have a matching tank, bought brand new and it was a perfect match for all 3 pieces, you've not said which panel is Starlight but I can certainly say I took a pic of the same panel you have, to send to Trigger so he could try and colour match it, it was taken with the panel on a window ledge, so plenty of natural light and when I studied the pic it looked much darker in the pic than in the flesh.

Not sure on the 250 paint, it's possible they did a bike in Starlight but if so I have no knowledge of it. Would make sense though.

Is it possible you've been spraying Starlight all along thinking it was Candy Custom Gold?

You may have something there Oddjob, I have seen this picture on Mennos site and I would bet my last $ it was starlight.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 08:05:28 AM »
Not forgetting that Honda listed 3 different numbers in the parts book for Gold CQ, KC and LX.
I did have a picture of a starlight 500 sitting next to a Candy gold 750 but, can't find it at the moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal