Author Topic: Chroming  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Chroming
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »
Would it not be easier/cheaper to just have a set of stainless rings turned up?
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »
Oddjob, Sounds like a lot of work. What about something like this:
http://4into1.com/ttr400-aluminum-anodized-exhaust-flange-set-silver-cb350f-cb400f-cb550/
or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB350F-350-Four-Exhaust-clamps-collar-flange-Set-4-/332014838856
The latter work out at around £128 using the figures given for delivery and duties, that's only a couple of quid more than genuine Honda ones from DS (excluding delivery).

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 05:36:34 PM »
I want it to look original rather than fit those anodised ones, but I appreciate your input.
I had a reply from Bikepusher and he thinks those 75 quid ones he's selling are only double plated not triple plated.   I've got Friday off so I'll take a trip to the local platers, who assured me that he does triple plating but wouldn't give me a price over the phone.   
If nothing else it'll be nice to get out for a ride.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »
I want it to look original rather than fit those anodised ones, but I appreciate your input.
I had a reply from Bikepusher and he thinks those 75 quid ones he's selling are only double plated not triple plated.   I've got Friday off so I'll take a trip to the local platers, who assured me that he does triple plating but wouldn't give me a price over the phone.   
If nothing else it'll be nice to get out for a ride.

It does not matter whether they are double, triple or quadruple plated if the prep is crap the finish will not last, for things like these they need stripping back in a de-chrome bath and the nickel will need to be removed then some polishing where possible, then a decent coat of nickel as this is what gives it it's protection when chromed, if they skimp on the nickel the chrome wont last, if they want to copper it i would advise against it as copper is soft and when the nuts are done up it will peel taking the chrome with it.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 07:17:30 AM »
Nice to have a member on here that really knows plating. Thanks Kevski.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 07:44:36 AM »

Roy, I am a former metalurgical chemist and plate line oppo, so I know a little, enough to get me by, it's a bit of a minefield, but in this game poor prep shows up massively on the finished job, and these clamps are not worth the time involved to re-chrome, the cost of the prep way outweighs the cost of new.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »

Roy, I am a former metalurgical chemist and plate line oppo, so I know a little, enough to get me by, it's a bit of a minefield, but in this game poor prep shows up massively on the finished job, and these clamps are not worth the time involved to re-chrome, the cost of the prep way outweighs the cost of new.

Kevski, I noticed that your location is just the other side of Boston from me. Did you move up here to work in a chroming firm ? Since I moved up from Kent I have found it hard in this area to find a good polishing/chroming company. I have found a good chromers in York but, they never like taking on jobs when polishing is involved. Yes, the money is all in the prep work and some of these old bike parts are past the prep stage, especially all the thin, rusty parts.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
Another method I've used was to shine them up using a wire brush wheel, even rusty ones will shine up well with enough work, then clear coat powder coated them, the heat from the exhaust doesn't get high enough to melt the coat.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 12:46:02 PM »
Now that sounds like a good plan,  the chroming isnt too bad bur surface rust is showing.   I'll go for that and see how it works out.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »

Kevski, I noticed that your location is just the other side of Boston from me. Did you move up here to work in a chroming firm ? Since I moved up from Kent I have found it hard in this area to find a good polishing/chroming company. I have found a good chromers in York but, they never like taking on jobs when polishing is involved. Yes, the money is all in the prep work and some of these old bike parts are past the prep stage, especially all the thin, rusty parts.

I am out of the game now, it's a very unhealthy business, in my last place we were only set up to plate certain shapes and sizes of work, if i wanted small stuff done i used to set up a small line in my lab and do my own any thing large like mudguards, stanchions and things of similar sizes easier to buy new or source decent second hand stuff, happy to be away from it.

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 12:12:31 PM »
Having spent many an hour de-rusting, de-painting and generally faffing about fettling my old Triumph over the last few years (still in  a zillion pieces I'm afraid), the splendid Mr Roy Hall advised me to buy a Bench Rotary Polishing machine with Scotchbrite Rotary Discs to polish some of my CB750 K4 engine bits (I buy the discs from - www.thepolishingshop.co.uk whose service is excellent).

Over this last summer I have tried a variety of different grade Scotchbrite Discs and also a couple of Rotary Wire Wheels and I just wish I'd known how effective they were years ago.

Luckily I use the Polishing Machine mounted on a B & D Workmate - outside my garage - luckily because after a mornings work, there is a fine layer of dust and crap over everything within a 20ft range.....not recommended when you are trying to rebuild a bike inside - but that apart, the speed in removing baked on crud, and the quality of finish you can achieve are quite remarkable.

If you are contemplating a rebuild, then you'll find the relatively small outlay on a Polishing Machine and Scotchbrite Discs is a really worthwhile investment.........maybe as a Christmas Present - ho ho ho !

Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »
I'd ask Santa for one but I haven't got room to swing a gnat in my shed.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
"the splendid Mr RoyHall"  I like it! Where you been hiding the last few weeks Mr Alan.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:02:45 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
Having spent many an hour de-rusting, de-painting and generally faffing about fettling my old Triumph over the last few years (still in  a zillion pieces I'm afraid), the splendid Mr Roy Hall advised me to buy a Bench Rotary Polishing machine with Scotchbrite Rotary Discs to polish some of my CB750 K4 engine bits (I buy the discs from - www.thepolishingshop.co.uk whose service is excellent).

Over this last summer I have tried a variety of different grade Scotchbrite Discs and also a couple of Rotary Wire Wheels and I just wish I'd known how effective they were years ago.

Luckily I use the Polishing Machine mounted on a B & D Workmate - outside my garage - luckily because after a mornings work, there is a fine layer of dust and crap over everything within a 20ft range.....not recommended when you are trying to rebuild a bike inside - but that apart, the speed in removing baked on crud, and the quality of finish you can achieve are quite remarkable.

If you are contemplating a rebuild, then you'll find the relatively small outlay on a Polishing Machine and Scotchbrite Discs is a really worthwhile investment.........maybe as a Christmas Present - ho ho ho !

You need a respirator on when using those scotchbrite mops, it will do your lungs in. Most professional polishers that use these have a large extraction unit mounted on the back of the machine.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
I would second that. I usually wear a two canister mask and do it outside. That stuff flies everywhere.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal