Author Topic: very hard to get neutral.  (Read 1599 times)

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
very hard to get neutral.
« on: December 02, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »
On my 1972 350f, new to me i am finding it impossible to get neutral from 1st i can get it with difficulty from 2nd, i have adjusted the clutch, changed oil and filter  using the correct grade as per the manual, now when i put the bike on the centre stand and the back wheel is spinning it slips into neutral easily, if i stop the wheel with my foot it won't go into to neutral,i can go up and down the box while on the stand no problems but as soon as the wheels are on the ground i can select first but cannot get it back into neutral it wont budge without doing it by hand then it pops up to second, the bike had not been started for many years and initially the clutch plates were stuck together but are now free, any ideas on the problem before i open up the whole motor.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: very hard to get neutral.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
Although the clutch was originally stuck but now free, there is still a good chance that the plates have some gum deposits on them.  You seem to have done all of the obvious, so if it were mine I'd be pulling the clutch off and cleaning all the surfaces, at the same time looking for warped ones and snags on the basket grooves and centre block

Hope you get sorted, dragging clutches are only for Brit bikes!

Ian

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:41:11 PM »
If you're not driving it around to get it warmed up general use for the clutch after so long I'd not take it apart yet. The gears should be resistant to being moved if they have a small amount of torque going through them with a bit of drag on the clutch, it's what stops it pinging out of gear when you open the throttle to accelerate.

No I shouldn't ultimately drag when setup and working properly, but I'd give it a bit more chance to clean it's own faces up with reasonable use before taking it apart.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:45:32 PM »
So after trying to get the bike to shift to neutral with no luck and lots of attempts, i have sometimes thought i may be a bit harsh when i have said to people to put the tools down and go and watch TV before you hurt yourself, but anyway i decided to open up the clutch side, i have taken the assembly out and the first thing i notice is the friction plate nearest the outside is too wide and has a nice wear ring on it where it was riding on the large circlip, i found the correct one mid stack, bearing in mind this bike was recommissioned by a honda mechanic that obviously new the clutch was sticking and tried to fix it, and he had allegedly won their macanac of the year award some time back, so i spun up the plates on my lathe cleaning the surfaces with fine emery cloth, put it back together with the plates in the right order and voila i can select neutral when static.
so here is a picture of the plate that was in the wrong place and also the narrow plate now in the correct place.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:51:41 PM by kevski »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:28:37 PM »
Poor show by a Honda fitter, although even the genuine manuals tend to state " Reassembly is reverse of removal", and if he's under 50years old, chances are he's not got much experience of these older bikes, and put it back together the way he found it, not knowing some other numpty had assembled it in the wrong order before! ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 08:38:49 PM »
I don't see how anyone could assemble it wrongly, it's obvious how it goes.  The Mc Cannock must have had one hell of a hangover.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 08:42:09 PM »
The fitter has been at it since the 1970s, and reassembly is reversal of removal means what it says if i noticed as soon as i opened it up surely a long time honda fitter should know, i have more than likely been fed a load of bull sheet, i have had to correct a whole bunch of stuff on this bike that was supposed to be roadworthy and in full working order, the fitter is just not up to the job, it's running nice now though, will be putting a stainless four into one on it in the new year, i feel the 4 into 4 holds it back a bit, that said i have not ridden something this small since the early 1980s and may be treating it to softly.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 08:58:29 PM »
If he did the work through the books at a Honda dealership you should report him to Honda. If it was cash in hand or whatever, then shame on the guy! At least YOU have sorted it now, so I'd certainly hassle him for your money back!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 11:22:31 PM »
The work was done prior to my buying it, and I have already named the culprits and workshop responsible, I have already got some money back from the seller/dealer.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 07:51:58 AM »
4 into 1 won't help much kev, these things are slooooow.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 08:33:19 AM »

Yes but they're much more involving to ride and sound great on 4 separate pipes.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »

I can live with that, but the 4 into 4 won't last long in this country, so i will remove it dry it out and store it in the house, that will make the bike worth a bit more if and when it ever gets sold.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »

I can live with that, but the 4 into 4 won't last long in this country, so i will remove it dry it out and store it in the house, that will make the bike worth a bit more if and when it ever gets sold.

don.t worry to much about exhausts lasting,mine are over 25 yrs old and perhaps 40k miles,the secret is now NO lead in petrol,and try
not to do many short journeys ,also,it does help to rev the motor to get the pipes good and hot !!! also ensure the drain holes are clear,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal