Author Topic: Pattern Rear Mudguard  (Read 1769 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Pattern Rear Mudguard
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 11:20:58 AM »
The chap certainly had quite a selection of bombers!
I remember the one I had, a 1966 bike I owned in the late 1970's.
In those days I managed to pick up a new speedo/tacho and a cylinder head for very little money. But as a poor student that bike sadly had to go.

Ash, have you found many G5 bits (as well as the complete bike)?
I take it this is why you were looking for the Parts List?
The blue bike looks pretty complete to me. Are you smitten with it yet?

Hi Chris ...when I wanted the parts list it was because I bought stuff from a separate  council garage a mile or so away which contained a couple of G5 bottom ends, best part of a rolling chassis etc etc. I also got a CB72 engine so I asked if there might be a frame for it back at his dad's house. He said there was only rusty junk there but I talked him into letting me have a peep...that's when I discovered all of that stuff, that neither Mick or myself had seen on previous visits. I suspected there was a CX in the shed but I had to go back to investigate in a very, very  narrow time window, plus its a 500+ round trip for me and I still work fulltime. When we moved all of the junk we found the CX and a complete G5 next to it with<2k miles on it.  The scene there , for me, was a mixture of elation and sadness and I felt a few of my old demons coming back...Julie, quite rightly, told us all to stop being so miserable so I kind of killed that thread, so I must thank her for that. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? Obviously every part I found that was chromed was pitted and all of the G5 top ends were toast ...why did Honda get that top end so wrong? I actually think the G5 was a pretty little bike and a few years back nobody wanted them but I think there is interest in them now. I have the V5 for that 2k miler but sadly it's  in a PO to the old guys name !

This is where they were buried:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:24:33 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 03:28:25 PM »
I had a call 3 years ago to clear a house just south of Sale after the a recent death. We turned up to a house with the attitude of a undertaker and was met by a woman who's only concern was, she could not sell the house and buy a bungalow until the house was cleared of bikes.
The front room and dinning room were like a show room, with glass display cabinets down the walls of the room, full of NOS parts. The whole house was filled with bikes, and I soon noticed that they all only had 2.6 to 8.1 miles on the clocks. I asked the woman, why so low mileage ? She replied, my husband never had a bike licence and none of them had been on the road. It took 3 of us 7 hours to list all the parts, paper work and bikes. We agreed on a price and said we would be back the next day with a truck, as we went to leave she said, and I hope you are going to clear out the shed.
The shed was 30x80 foot, it covered the whole of the back garden. In the shed we found a shed load of bikes and parts in the same mint condition as the ones in the house.
This guy was the original bike polisher, he would buy new bikes and keep them in his showroom (front room) and when they, got a bit too dusty, he would push them in to his shed, strip them down and clean them before returning them to his show room. The low mileage on the bikes was due to him pushing them back and forth over the years. We ended up with 3 truck loads of bikes, parts, ramps and tools.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 03:34:36 PM »
Hi Ash, I understand your feelings at the scene. Stashing bikes and parts away is one thing if they are somewhere dry but quite another if they are stashed in a leaky shed or under a hedge. But then again, the shed probably wasn't leaky when the bikes and parts were put in there ....
Yes, the other thread did get a bit morbid but raised good points - maybe we all need to consider what we have so that others can do something with it if the worst happens. I came across a case at a steam fair a while back where the owners of a traction engine, one of only one or very few more of its type left, had sent some major engine parts to be refurbished. The guy doing the job unfortunately dropped dead and his relatives apparently scrapped the entire contents of his workshop, including those irreplaceable engine parts.
As far as the G5 goes, if you have the V5 for the complete bike does it matter whose name it is in? Surely the important bit is having it. It's a bit like applying for a V5 for a bike if you have the registration number and details (I have done it). I had no idea who the previous owner who would have been on the document even was - the bike came from a breaker - but getting the V5 was no problem.
For my own bike, I think I have everything I need and the top end seems OK. I could do with some side panel badges but can probably do something with the ones I have. Main thing is finding the motivation to get on with it but I doubt there was any in the shed!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal