Author Topic: Winter / Long term Storage  (Read 1263 times)

Greebo

Winter / Long term Storage
« on: December 21, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »
I cover my bikes with proper semi fitted bike covers which are a damp & Dust resistant & a breathable material.

So I was surprised when i watched a programme on TV a few months back which showed Dave Silvers very large classic motorcycle collection & all the bikes were loosely covered with polythene sheets, & then today I watched the Goodwood Classic Car programme which showed again very collectable  classic cars loosely covered with polythene sheets... we all know polythene is water/damp resistant but its also not breathable which is not a good thing... :-\ ::)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:27:31 AM by Greebo »

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Winter / Long term Storage
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 03:57:58 PM »
probably because his storage is heated!! he's got plenty of (my) cash.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:28:26 PM »
With what he's had from me I'm surprised it's not silk sheets !
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:31:12 PM »
I've used vacbags in the past. They cone supplied with moisture absorbing granules in a small bag and a moisture indicator that are both put in the vacbag before the air is sacked out using a vacuum cleaner and sealed using a zip tie. Results were OK but not brilliant. Despite the zip tie air still got in as the bag is so difficult to seal properly due to the heavy gauge plastic. Its not easy getting the bike in there in the first place either! Going out for a quick blast on a rare nice day isn't easy either. I now use a dehumidifier since properly insulating the garage. Although expensive it's worth it in the long term especially if you have more then one bike in good condition and you want to keep it that way!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:03:33 PM »
Or send it to Storacar >> https://www.storacar.com I have nothing to do with this company, honestly  ;)

Greebo

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »
Or send it to Storacar >> https://www.storacar.com I have nothing to do with this company, honestly  ;)

They are actually storing my Veyron right now.. ;D & I don't tell lies honestly.. ::) i just dream a lot .

Seriously though regarding the bike storage, my garage is well ventilated & not heated, I have never had any damp that I have noticed or any problems with rust or corrosion on the bikes
I think if you are going to heat a storage place/garage for bikes or cars then it has to be well insulated, hot air mixing with any cold air or any draughts produces water & obviously damp which is not good.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »

They are actually storing my Veyron right now.. ;D & I don't tell lies honestly.. ::) i just dream a lot .

Seriously though regarding the bike storage, my garage is well ventilated & not heated, I have never had any damp that I have noticed or any problems with rust or corrosion on the bikes
I think if you are going to heat a storage place/garage for bikes or cars then it has to be well insulated, hot air mixing with any cold air or any draughts produces water & obviously damp which is not good.

And I thought yours was the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI with only 2,600 miles on it. It has been in storage for the past 29 year. So someone loves it.

Greebo

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »
#Quote: And I thought yours was the Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI

Where have you got that info from ?  :o its news to me.. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal