SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Gear change hard

(1/3) > >>

Colonial-Clive (yindi):
Hi people's, after total ground up rebuild the bike is ready for mot, the problem I have is it is very hard to change out of first when engine is running the clutch is adjusted as per manual I have put new Barnet plates and springs in and am running the motor in using 15w-40 mineral oil. I am down to replacing the cable as this is near its limit maybe an eighth of an inch adjustment at lever a quarter at clutch, any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks Clive

Tomb:
If the gear change works Ok when the engine isn't running it sounds like clutch drag. Check for bent plates and clutch mechanism working correctly.

Check for bent plates on decent kitchen work top if you havn't got a surface plate. We use lots of new plates on the drag bike and get lots of new plates that are rubbish.

Colonial-Clive (yindi):
That sounds logical as plates are new old stock, but was hoping not to pull apart so will keep that one as last option. Thanks for the input Tomb

deltarider:

--- Quote ---Hi people's, after total ground up rebuild the bike is ready for mot, the problem I have is it is very hard to change out of first when engine is running the clutch is adjusted as per manual I have put new Barnet plates and springs in and am running the motor in using 15w-40 mineral oil. I am down to replacing the cable as this is near its limit maybe an eighth of an inch adjustment at lever a quarter at clutch, any suggestion would be appreciated.
--- End quote ---
Would you mind to inform us... what bike?

K2-K6:
Are you riding it and finding it doesn't change easily or just running it with it stationary?

If it's just sitting still with the wheels not going,  then clutch drag will really be felt through the gearbox as a difficulty to move ratios.

If you are moving, then the clutch shouldn't really affect gearbox feel as it'll change easily without even using the clutch. If it's this fault then it could be more to do with something inside the box, possibly tolerance wise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version