Author Topic: HISTORIC TAX  (Read 3807 times)

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
HISTORIC TAX
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
Hi all,
            I asked the DVLA a question if I could change the tax to historic while it was on a SORN.
This cannot be done and the clasification has to be changed when you re-tax the vehicle and a valid MOT is required.
I am going to apply for the 400/4 after April this year.
Anyway if it helps anyone else then here is the DVLA response.

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your enquiry received on 6/2/2017.
Your case reference number is

It may help if I explain that a vehicle tax class can only be changed at the time the vehicle is being re-taxed.

The taxation class Historic Vehicle applies to any vehicle constructed before 1st January 1976.

If you are in possession of a V5C Registration Certificate showing the date of registration as prior to 1st January 1976 and the taxation class showing as Historic Vehicle, providing all the details are correct on your V5C you can tax the vehicle online via our Electronic Vehicle Licensing (EVL) system by visiting the website www.gov.uk/vehicletax or by telephoning 0300 123 4321. When you re-tax online or by telephone we will electronically check if your vehicle has a valid Test Certificate (MOT/GVT) on the database run by the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) or by Driver and Vehicle Agency Testing (DVAT) if your vehicle is registered to a Northern Ireland address. For vehicles registered to a Northern Ireland address we will electronically check your vehicle is insured on the Motor Insurance Database.

Alternatively, the vehicle can be taxed in person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

The following documentation will need to be submitted:

• V5C Registration Certificate or
• V11 Renewal Reminder to get vehicle tax
• valid MOT Certificate (if applicable) or V112 ‘Exemption from MOT Testing’ form*
• valid Insurance Certificate or Cover note for vehicles registered with a Northern Ireland address (downloaded or faxed copies are acceptable, however photocopies are not)

If you do not have a V5C Registration Certificate, you will still be able to obtain vehicle tax in person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

The following documentation will need to be submitted:

• V62 Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate*
• valid MOT Certificate (if applicable) or V112 ‘Exemption from MOT Testing’ form*
• valid Insurance Certificate or Cover note for vehicles registered with a Northern Ireland address (downloaded or faxed copies are acceptable, however photocopies are not)

*Please note that there is a £25 charge.

If you are taxing as a new keeper, the following documentation will need to be submitted:

• V5C/2 New keeper’s details
• V62 Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (if it has been over 2 months since you purchased the vehicle)
• valid MOT Certificate (if applicable)

If the taxation class is not already shown as Historic Vehicle on the V5C for your vehicle you can apply in person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax. The V5C must show a date of registration prior to the 01.01.1976.

If this is not recorded on the V5C but the vehicle was manufactured prior to this date you will need to produce dating evidence and submit the application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ.

Acceptable dating evidence can be obtained from:

• An extract from the manufacturer/factory record - these will have the chassis number of the vehicle against the month and year of production*
• An extract from the 'Glasses guide'- which is a comprehensive guide on production dates and includes chassis numbers
• If the vehicle has been imported and already registered, the original foreign registration certificate.
*A certified copy of the factory record (with the embedded stamp) will be acceptable only from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (BMIHT)

The keeper will need to write ‘Historic’ in the change to taxation class field in section 7 of the V5C and sign section 8. You will need to complete a V10 Application for vehicle tax and include it with your application.

An updated V5C will be returned within 4 weeks. If a V62 form is submitted a V5C will be returned within 6 weeks.

*Please note from 18th November 2012, vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1960 are exempt from the requirement to have a mandatory MOT test.

If your vehicle is manufactured before 1st January 1960 you will need to complete a V112 ‘Exemption from MOT Testing’ form.

The decision was announced by the Minister for transport following a Public Consultation in November 2011.

Please note it is the keeper or driver of the vehicle’s responsibility for ensuring the vehicle is in a road worthy condition and safe to be driven on the road.

More information on the historic vehicles taxation class can be found on information leaflet INF34 Taxing Historic Vehicles.

Form V62 can be downloaded from www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-certificate-v5c-log-book or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

Form V10 can be downloaded from www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-vehicle-licence-using-form-v10 or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

Form V112 can be downloaded from www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/vehicles-exempt-from-mot or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form link or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

live.email-dvla.service.gov.uk/w2c/en_GB/forms/Response?token=9264fafb21a37b0526834567dfb8e41c

Best Regards

Read more: http://z650.proboards.com/thread/2116/historic-tax#ixzz4Y0TLDZMs
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
Re: HISTORIC TAX
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »
Good to know.
As of April this year, bikes made prior to 1st Jan 1977 will be tax free or historic ...I think?

Offline Fraccie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »
Good to know.
As of April this year, bikes made prior to 1st Jan 1977 will be tax free or historic ...I think?

that would be good if you are correct bud.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
My bike was manufactured in 1977 but not registered until 1981.
I have been through the process of getting the date of manufacture corrected with DVLA, which has been done and an age-related plate was issued.
A Vehicle Enquiry will show the date of manufacture but the V5C still only shows the Date of First Registration (as 1981)
From the wording in Paul's response from DVLA I will not be able to do the change at a Post Office when the time comes.
I still have all the dating information but don't see why I should have to supply it again (although I expect I may have to, knowing the way DVLA work).
I have kept a copy of the response to Paul; I will have to check nearer the time what I will need to do to get the taxation class changed.
Beats me why the manufacture date couldn't have been added as a note on the V5C having gone through that process.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »
I was not aware of the 'extract from Glasses guide' being acceptable evidence.  Anyone know if those guides cover bikes as well as cars from our target dates (mid to late 70's now)?
Ian

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »
The Special Notes section at the bottom of the V5 for TDBxxxR says

"Was registered/used overseas. Declared manufactured 1976"

So I guess the person who imported it from N.Ireland in 1997 would have had the original reg. docs to show the dvla.
My frame number begins CB400F-106....   which is about right for the year.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 07:00:39 PM »
I was not aware of the 'extract from Glasses guide' being acceptable evidence.  Anyone know if those guides cover bikes as well as cars from our target dates (mid to late 70's now)?
Ian
Not that I am aware. I think that and the BMIHT record are only for cars.
When I was doing the dating stuff I think only a VJMC letter or a Dating Letter from Honda was acceptable, so I would think it is the same here.
Subsequently I think it has been said that the VJMC letter is not always good enough, but not sure on that one.

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:01:23 PM »
Between it's time in NI and UK my bike was registered in the IoM !
Come to think of it I believe that's what the previous keeper said when I got it.
Glad I didn't have to register it !

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
Good to know.

that would be good if you are correct bud.
yep rolling 40 year program so From the 1st Jan 77, mine is registered 76 so qualifies this year.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 07:08:30 AM »
Oddjob. Same route as importing a bike. Get a dating certificate from Honda and apply on the form requested from dvla on their website. Think it's a V55 from memory.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »
Yes mate, mot cert, insurance on frame number and dating letter. OR as you have the V5 go to a post office with the docks and try taxing it!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 07:24:23 AM »
Go to your local MOT man/woman and ask them to put the reg number in there system and see what it comes up with. If it is on there system then, mot and tax, as you have the V5.

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
The problem I have is that one of my bikes hasn't been taxed since the early 80s. I thought I'd lost the V5 but have since found it again, however an enquiry to the DVLA some years ago resulted in them saying I'd have to apply for my own registration as they have no record of the bike at all, even though the V5 is computer generated.

I have no idea on how to apply for my own registration number.

I have just done this for a CB400f that had been off the road since 1978 (never had an MOT).....I have the original old style 1970s V5.  In short you apply for a registration document (Form V62)....with a cheque for £25..I also enclosed photos of the vehicle and the engine and chassis numbers although I don't think they were asked for. 

I included a letter outlining the circumstances of purchasing the bike along with a clear colour photocopy of the original V5.  They ask for the original, but I just said I was scared of losing it in the post (true) as it was my only proof of entitlement to the registration, offering to forward it if they insisted.... and they accepted that.

I had insured the bike but it did not have an MOT at the time; I received a letter saying that as it had been off their books for so long they wanted it to be inspected.  When I received that I realised they either had my bike in a dormant record (it doesn't show up when you do an on line DVLA vehicle check) or they accepted the validity of the original V5.

An appointment was made with a company called SGS who carry out vehicle examinations for the DVLA.....that took about three weeks, a guy who knew little or nothing about bikes turned up, took photos of the engine and frame number and recorded them using a formatted system on a tablet....he also took front, rear and side photos presumably to ensure that it looks like whatever you claim it to be....the whole thing took about fifteen minutes, done at my house and no charge to me.

A couple of weeks later (yesterday) I called the DVLA vehicle inspections team as I had heard nothing and spoke to a very helpful bloke who told me my application was all in order and he would be finalising it and issuing a V5C shortly....so hopefully I might get it next week, then it's MOT time.

I did a bit of interweb research when I realised I was going to have to put up with this examination to see what it was all about and as far as I could work it out it seems some people have been playing a bit fast and loose with the definition of an historic vehicle and some glorified kit cars etc had been granted historic status and age related numbers where perhaps they should not have....so, as usual in these circumstances the rules get tightened and we all have to put up with it. 

Mick.             

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
Oddjob, I presume that if the DVLA really have lost the information then a Vehicle Enquiry will give no result, as happened to Kettle.
Have you checked anyway? At https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/.

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »

This seems to tell everything you need to know about changing to Historic tax.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-tax-class/vehicle-changes-that-affect-tax

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal