Author Topic: 1964 Honda C200 Value ??  (Read 1052 times)

Offline LesH

• View Profile
1964 Honda C200 Value ??
« on: February 14, 2017, 11:00:41 AM »
Can anybody out there advise me please ?    I'm having my ear bent about parting with my dad's old Honda C200 (90cc motorcycle style).  It's a 1964 model in "barn find condition" that I know the full history of.  Fitted with a full fairing which is unusual and I've not seen before.
It's been in my garage for years and I last had it on the road in 1987 so needs everything doing.  As to it's worth I've no idea what to ask, hence this thread.  I don't want to give it away but at the same time I don't want to frighten the guy who's shown so much interest.
Any ideas would be appreciated.   Thanks   :-\
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 1964 Honda C200 Value ??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »
Sadly, not a lot! They are the old design with iron barrel and head, and overhead valves operated by pushrods. Not one of Honda's best designs, that's why they shifted to alloy head and overhead cam after a couple of years. Many parts are simply not available now, including the front brake torque arm and bushes (common M.O.T. fail), swing arms which rot from the inside, and suddenly collapse without warning (bloody dangerous, even at very low speed) seat bases rot out, and nobody makes replicas. Head gasket is just a copper ring, with "o" rings sealing the pushrod tunnels. I loved mine to bits many years ago, but parts were difficult to get even 25yrs ago, these days the only option is used parts, but that's no good for top end gasket sets, and most parts for them are in the states, which doubles the price and then a bit more time they get here :'( With an M.O.T. it might scrape £500, otherwise it's a case of take what you can get for it, or keep it for an ornament. ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal