Author Topic: To blast or not to blast  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
To blast or not to blast
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
My 1978 Keihin P46A carbs have got the battleship grey coating on them. They look pretty grimy compared to the rest of the bike which is shining up nicely. Has anyone had similar carbs blasted and if so was it just a clean or did you get the grey coating blasted off as well? I worry that if the coating is removed the carbs would oxidise pretty quickly and look grimy again. 
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: To blast or not to blast
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:42:49 PM »
Soda blasting carbs is the only safe method but ideally you need to totally dismantle them. I recently remove the float chambers on my 400f to replace the float valves and found quite horrible stains inside the chambers so inside the ultra sonic cleaner they went but it didn't have much effect on those stains. Looking around I found a bottle of clean spirit, stuck some in one, left it for half an hour with an occasional brush around and it shifted the stains. Pleased with the result I washed the whole carb bank off with the stuff, to be fair they weren't too bad but even so there was a significant improvement.

Clean spirit does not smell and it's water soluble. Available from B&Q and Homebase. Can't remember the cost maybe £4 for 1500 ml. Might be worth a shot!   

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »
Totally stripped my 750 carbs and had them Vapour Blasted by a company that really knows bikes (you dont want some muppet blasting the insides). They came up like brand new so I was really pleased. Six months later they were back to the exact same battleship grey they started at. That was 2.5 years ago and to date they haven't oxidised.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
Totally stripped my 750 carbs and had them Vapour Blasted by a company that really knows bikes (you dont want some muppet blasting the insides). They came up like brand new so I was really pleased. Six months later they were back to the exact same battleship grey they started at. That was 2.5 years ago and to date they haven't oxidised.

The carbs don't oxidise as much as the engine alloy. And to get a good coat of oxy, the bike needs to be left outside in all weathers.
As Roy as said, to have anything vapour blasted, you need to know that the blaster knows his job. Otherwise it will end tears  :'( :'(

Offline andut

• SOHC Member
  • CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »
Soda blasting is the safest method as it's much easier to remove the blasting media, but the finish is a matt grey whereas aqua blasting with fine glass bead will provide a like new satin sheen to the aluminium that I personally prefer.  The downside to wet blasting is you have to be very very careful to ensure all the media is washed out, but it's perfectly possible if you make sure you completely strip the carbs and make sure you know where all the cross drillings go so that you can flush and blow them clean.

Maintaining the satin finish following wet blasting is an on-going routine though and requires regular cleaning, so if you'd rather not do that, or you're not confident in getting to all the drillings in the carb bodies, then I'd suggest soda.

Andy

Offline kevin 755

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Hi Roy, from up your end of the country where did you get your carbs done and how much?
Kevin.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Kevin. Got them done at "Higgspeed" in Bispham, north Blackpool. Current prices should be on the website:   http://www.higgspeed.com      If not they charged me £60 for the four but you have to totally strip them yourself. I stripped mine and put the float bowls back on before blasting. But as I said earlier, they will quickly go back to the usual battleship grey. I only had them done as they were in such a state. How's sunny Southport, the guy I use for wheelbuilding is down your way.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:43:21 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »
I'm getting them done by Steve who is CBX Vapour Blasting in Sussex, who does a lot of work through VJMCC and who I'm delighted to say is a 15 minute car ride away from me between East Grinstead and Crawley.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline kevin 755

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »
Hi Roy, still sunny here today anyway, had a wheel rebuilt by the guy you mentioned,first class job.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal