Author Topic: Rebore costs  (Read 1691 times)

Offline llessur

• Honda 400/4
    • View Profile
Rebore costs
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
I have just had a quote fore boring my 400 barrels to 54.5mm for a big bore conversion. They said £40 per cylinder.
I just wanted to check this was reasonable as I have not done this before. What do you think?

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Rebore costs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:33:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with that.

Offline Zunspec

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
It is in the ball park.  Steve at Pistonbroke in Bristol charges approx £30/barrel so may be a bit cheaper.  The handy thing is if you make an appointment he will do the job while you wait. He's been doing it for 40+ years so he knows what he doing.

Cheers  Geoff

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:15:22 PM »
£40 is cheap, seeing it is multiple cuts and a few times they have to re-set the boring bar.

Offline llessur

• Honda 400/4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »
Thanks everyone. I took them in this morning. My only concern is that there is not going to be a great deal of wall thickness left at the bottom of each sleeve and the loss of any usable chamfer may mean a faff with the rings. Just an idea but is it possible to sick two pistons in the barrel first then just fit the gudgeon pins rather than attempting all four piston whilst lowering the cylinders ?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:48:29 AM »
Doesn't sound feasible.   Everything's going to move out of alignment while you're trying to something fiddly.  I make ring compressers from drinks cans, held in place with cable ties.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »
I tend to agree with Mike. It may be a faff with the rings, but I think it would be a bigger faff with the gudgeon pin circlips when the pistons are in the bores

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
Doesn't sound feasible.   Everything's going to move out of alignment while you're trying to something fiddly.  I make ring compressers from drinks cans, held in place with cable ties.

What about the yogurt pots and double sided sticky tape Val?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
If you're happy with the Blue Peter method, go for it. ;D ;D ;D
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline llessur

• Honda 400/4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
Thank you for the responses. I will avoid the copydex, coathangers and sticky backed paper ( nice to know we are of a similar generation ) but I do like the Coke can idea. I will give it a try.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 09:16:59 AM »
Doing drag racing means we do this job several times a year on two engines, I have polished the chamfers and polished a small radius between the bore and chamfer. Using engine oil and fitting the block over 2 + 3 pistons first the block almost falls on, then rotate the crank slightly to lift 1 + 4 pistons and drop the block onto them, the rings slide in easily. Best done with two people, one each side of the engine.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
Doing drag racing means we do this job several times a year on two engines, I have polished the chamfers and polished a small radius between the bore and chamfer. Using engine oil and fitting the block over 2 + 3 pistons first the block almost falls on, then rotate the crank slightly to lift 1 + 4 pistons and drop the block onto them, the rings slide in easily. Best done with two people, one each side of the engine.

Just the ticket, i have never used coke cans, plastic bottles, bits of drain pipe, or even ring clamps, and have never broken a a single ring, you just take care and do as tomb says .

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
Thanks everyone. I took them in this morning. My only concern is that there is not going to be a great deal of wall thickness left at the bottom of each sleeve and the loss of any usable chamfer may mean a faff with the rings. Just an idea but is it possible to sick two pistons in the barrel first then just fit the gudgeon pins rather than attempting all four piston whilst lowering the cylinders ?

That bloke on hackaweek did something sort of similar by fitting pistons and conrods in that barrels and then fitting them to the upper crank case, looks an awkward way to do it

https://youtu.be/y-CsqUiatKk

Are you not able to add a small amount of new chamfer to the bottom of the sleeves?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal