Author Topic: Chrome plating  (Read 4881 times)

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
Re: Chrome plating
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »
Original head light rim by Mark @ RS (as image) which was and still is spot-on. Did Mark give a reason for the finish, images would help.
Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
.... Ashford Chroming (CB750 luggage rack) chroming OK but not as good as RS. Mark @ RS prefers the simpler parts as he declined to do the luggage rack
I followed a recommendation and had my rack rechromed at Classics & Chrome in Hinckley, Leics; see earlier post in this thread.
It's OK but there is still some signs of pitting around the joints. They said this was due to being unable to get in to these areas to polish the part properly. Other than that the work seemed good and I would probably try them again if I had more work that needed doing.
Having said that I seem to recall some places would not touch the job because of the problems in preparing well - one place wanted to undo all the welded / brazed joints and dismantle the rack to its component parts so they could polish all the pieces properly (an offer which I predictably declined ....).
It does make me wonder what sort of tools they use to do the prep - surely something smaller and hand-held would be able to better get into the awkward to reach places.

Offline Dave487

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 05:20:49 PM »
I used Classics and Chrome at Hinckley on Ash,s recommendation for quite a few parts including an original Rim which was badly pitted. I think he made a reasonable job of all of them although he usually needs a couple prods to get them finished and they are nearly always a few quid more than the quoted price. I'd use them again.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »

Used RS for chroming a headlight rim.

Had to send it back as there was rust spots all over it. He rechromed it, sent it back and i went out and brought a NOS part to replace it.

I used RS a few years ago for a few bits and bits come back with rust still evident in some places. If I'd known, I would have removed the rust myself but thought that I would leave it for them incase it disturbed there process. Not sure I would use them again
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline boxie30

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »

Picture of rim

Offline boxie30

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »

Marks reason "the rim is a problem as we had problems trying to seal the metal and looks like it has spotted out"

They still sent it back to me and i had to return it back to them.

Wouldn't it have been more logical just to fix it first????

Offline boxie30

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 07:22:41 PM »
RCJ Chromers, Rear mudguard.

The only decent chrome i had done were handlebars, that to be honest, where in reasonable condition to begin with, from Nottingham platers.But they did destroy my set of indicator bases after >:( >:(

I never argued the price with any of the platers, even offering a little extra on a couple of items, so i wasn't trying to be cheap.

Only a couple of parts left to do, so may be lucky.

Michael.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:44:59 PM by boxie30 »

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »
Thanks for posting the images, I would have reacted in the same way. But the work he did for me was spot-on
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 09:15:47 PM »
Had quite a bit of stuff done by Classics & Chrome in Hinkley, can be bit grumpy sometimes  but generally pleased with his service. Last thing I had plated was a  front wheel rim  for my 750K0 and I gave that to Aaron Walkinshaw in Coventry (dropped off at Stafford as he always has a stand in the main hall not far from DS's stand).. Quality looks OK  (£100) and he left the DID diamond logo intact and in full relief.I will probably use both of them again. Both were about 4-> 6 weeks turnaround with no chasing involved from me. Both will do exhausts and Walkinshaw's have their own tinsmiths and evidently they do repairs too.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal