SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

What's my oil filter bolt got inside it?

(1/3) > >>

Ashdowner:
Can't really see it very well here but the second hole from the right of the oil filter bolt is blocked by a piece of cylindrical metal (brass?) which has a spring below it (to the open end of the bolt) and this is held in place by a pin (small hole 2nd picture) going through the bolt. My question is what the hell is it? Also the holes in the bolt have all got bits of metal scarf as if the hole doesn't seem to have been finished of properly. Anyone else got the same?. 

hairygit:
Oil filter pressure relief/bypass valve. If the oil filter becomes badly clogged, the pressure forces oil through the valve to provide unfiltered oil to the crank etc to avoid totally destroying the engine.

Ashdowner:
Thanks hairygit. My oil change discipline is pretty good so I hope it never comes to that.

Bryanj:
The technical term for the internals is "Gubbins"

steff750:

--- Quote ---Oil filter pressure relief/bypass valve. If the oil filter becomes badly clogged, the pressure forces oil through the valve to provide unfiltered oil to the crank etc to avoid totally destroying the engine.
--- End quote ---
yes and the unfiltered oil tends to take bits of crap that has been sitting there with it through the bypass valve ,so you might  still have a engine that is toast?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version