Author Topic: Francis. The 1987 CB125 TDE (the other dust seal)  (Read 4550 times)

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
Re: Francis. The 1987 CB125 TDE (he's alive Igor!)
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
So after a successful Saturday on the electrics, plus forks & tank addressed, the next step was to fire it up. Now this is a pretty big deal to someone whose own bikes have been in bits for 30 years and never seen petrol. Well my AS3 did once I think and my RD250 has went in my presence but basically I've never brought a bike back from the dead.

So I got a fiver's worth of gas. Wheeled the bike out into the sun. Tentatively filled the tank via a jug and the wind kept blowing the fuel onto the tank (thank God I've not just re-sprayed it) but after this was wiped off I could see there were no leaks. Nice one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_FUwkxTxu8
walkround video (very short)

Turned the tap on a petrol poured out from places it shouldn't. Turns out it was from the hose (onto tap) that previous mechanic had added with fuel filter. Trimmed a bit of that off and added a small tie-wrap and tried again. No leaks. So I started to crank it over on the starter button but there was no signs of life altho the battery was surprisingly strong considering it hasn't been used for 3 years or so. I then tried some choke which reminds me of Hannah asking, way back, 'is the choke on when the lever is up or down?'. At the time I had no idea. Couldn't find the answer and the little arrow on the lever could be taken to mean either way.

However on Saturday when I was messing about with the electrics trying to find where the loom earthed I took the LHS airbox out which brings the hose leading to the carb out too and could therefore see the choke flap in action. With the lever up the flap is horizontal (ie open) and with lever pushed down the flap is vertical (ie closed/on) so the arrow on the lever actually indicates direction to take choke off not put it on.  :o

Anyway with the choke on I still wasn't getting anything so the plugs came out and as well as being crusty they are in pretty bad condition and there was no trace of any fuel on them. I gave them a clean and checked for spark by resting then on the downpipes while cranking the engine over. I could see a very faint spark so at least the ignition system was working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdUI0lkG34k
cranking video (short)

not pretty despite being only about 2000 miles old

this one doesn't look so bad but still large gap for spark to jump

So I was getting a spark of sorts but possibly fuel problem. Was thinking mb carb problem. Jets blocked or flaot stuck. For some reason I thought mb try boosting the battery a bit just by adding the charger to it. It's a bit fiddly getting it to balance under seat but worked good enough previous days when I was checking the electrics. At first I wasn't getting anything different from before but then tried taking the choke off. The linkage between the two crabs for the choke flaps is pretty rubbish on these. Its a metal strip in a U shape and I noticed the previous day it wasn't really working great when I operated the lever so as well as pushing the lever up I stuck me fingers up between the carbs to push the strip backwards.

Anyway much to my surprise Francis sprang to life and continued to idle away after I removed the battery charger.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhAX0WHziw
start-up video (longer)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:52:44 PM by ffoy »

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
won't be long now

it will burst into life !!

keep up the good work !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 09:34:19 PM »
You were a minute or so too early John ;)

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 09:45:12 PM »
Just to finish off for tonight I would say to anyone trying to remove the airbox or carb rubber you're liable to drive yourself nuts putting it back on. I'd done this before on Francis (can't remember why) and vaguely remember working the rubber back into the airbox with a thin screwdriver.

This time I thought I'd be clever and keep the hose attached to the box by pulling it off at the carb inlet. I just could not get it to go back on so then loosened the carb at the cylinder side to get a little fore & aft movement but still no way. You just can't get your fingers in the the carb inlet side.

The trick is to leave the carb connections tight and just push the airbox into the frame. The hose can easily be pulled in. No screwdriver needed. Should do a video lol.

Oh and just to burst my bubble. You may remember I mentioned an XJR1300...

Well the owner of that fell out with me badly when he heard the Honda starting up. He was livid as his bike got taken apart, by me, in March 15 and isn't running yet.  You can hear him at end of video shouting 'that's the wrong one'  >:(

Guess what bike I worked on today.....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:18:39 AM by ffoy »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
Excellent, glad you've got it going at last. Next is to make it safely rideable, then take it through the gears under load, and see how it feels. If you've not ridden one before, it's surprising how gutless they are at low speed, you need at least 4,000rpm to pull away cleanly, better at 5 upwards, and they really thrive at the redline! I had the CB125T 2, the last unrestricted version, it would do a genuine 85mph.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
cheers h'g'. I've been out on it twice before but literally just up the road and back so no real feel for it yet. I'm going to put the new chain and sprockets (that came with it) on next and re-fit the front M/C, caliper etc. Also while am fitting the rear sprocket will have a look at the rear drum as brake doesn't seem to be working
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:19:42 AM by ffoy »

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
Re: Francis. The 1987 CB125 TDE (leaking fuel tap)
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »
Just a quicky here. I've not looked at Francis for a day or three, as I've been busy trying to resurrect a 2002 Yamaha XJR1300, but I wheeled him outside along with my Raleigh Bomber while I worked on the Yamaha.

The Yamaha tank was off for a while as I was checking all the wiring connections etc and I was aware of the smell of petrol but put it down to fact that I'd disturbed the fuel hoses etc.

God knows how short or long it was later but glancing over at Francis I saw petrol leaking from the tap all over the engine. I tried tightening up the nut a little but it wasn't working so I disconnected the hose running to the carbs and drained the fuel back into a can.

Not that much went in to I've probably lost nearly all that was in the tank.

Anyway I was a bit suspicious of the seal before and you can see it's torn so hopefully that's the problem. Just need to find a new one.

fuel was pouring out all over the engine lifting the badly-applied black paint

hopefully a new seal will sort this problem

I put smell of petrol down to fact I had tank off another bike 

monster bike
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:44:41 PM by ffoy »

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
Re: Francis. The 1987 CB125 TDE (new fuel tap O-ring)
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »
A tiny update for a tiny part....

So I found the split o-ring that goes between the fuel-tap gland-nut and the threaded boss on the tank itself. I thought there would be plenty suitable ones for sale online. Just need to know the dimensions? Well I couldn't seem to find any that were fuel-resistant and/or the right size which is apparently 9mm x 1.3mm  ???

A few weeks back I found the part no. on CMSL site and they also had them in stock for a few £s but then there was some crazy P&P charge - like 18 Euros or something - so it went on the back-burner.

Last week however I found one on Ebay for £5.55 all-in  :) . Not cheap for what it is but what's a fiver to get the bike running again....

It looks like it was actually ordered urgently several years ago by a motorcycle repair shop/dealer but for whatever reason not used. Anyway am happy with the find and keen to get it on and see if the leak is cured.

looks like Kent M/Cycles needed this urgently back in 2010

£5.55 (inc P&P) for a small but vital part
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:26:14 PM by ffoy »

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 11:20:09 PM »
It's those "small but vital parts" that cost the most :'( Please keep updating ffoy, I'm really enjoying this.
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
It's those "small but vital parts" that cost the most :'( Please keep updating ffoy, I'm really enjoying this.

Thanks Clunker. If I get any free time this week I'll be re-filling the tank and fitting the chain & sprocket kit. Maybe a spin round the yard. Should really order some new plugs too... 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:30:45 PM by ffoy »

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
I think those plugs would be my number one priority  ;D. I had one of these bikes many moons ago, it was only 2 or 3 years old at the time. Advertised as a non runner for £70, I expected to see a wreck when I turned up. When I got to the address there was a showroom condition bike on the driveway, I thought the one for sale would be dumped in the garage, but no......it was the one on the driveway. The guy just wanted rid, said he couldn't be bothered with it. I tried to start it but it just wouldn't go, didn't bother messing with it too much as I'd nipped out from work, I paid the guy and removed the battery, told him I'd be back later. Charged the battery at work, bought new set of plugs, got a lift to the guys house, replaced battery, put plugs in and it fired up 8), bargain! Went to start it the next day and it wouldn't start! ::)
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »
how is francis, im worried for him!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »
Hello ffoy, I have a couple of standard XJR1300 silencers (I say standard but they've had the free flow baffle mod done on them, so they look standard but have a slightly deeper tone, definitely not loud just a tad deeper ) plus a stainless oil cooler cover and 4 carb mounts, all from my year 2000 SP that I sold last year, I was going to put them all on eBay but if you need any of the above PM me, cheers Mark.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2017, 11:32:11 PM »
Hi mickwinf & MarkCR750.

Francis is fine lol. I've just not had time to attend to him and thanks for the offer of the XJR parts but right now I have a more troublesome issue to deal with there - and another one which sorta involves Francis.

So.....

The XJR is dying as soon as the throttle is opened (I've got some videos on YouTube of this) and I'm pretty sure it's a leak at the exhaust manifolds that is the problem. Just tighten them up? Well some of the studs are severely rusted and I'm frightened they'll snap. I have new studs and gaskets to fit but am really worried about snapping the old studs in head when I try to replace them but it's got to be done so right now am experimenting with dissolving a bolt out of an alloy head with acid. If it works I'll do same on the XJR.

The other thing is the XJR isn't mine and the owner asked me to respray the seat cowl a few years ago. I tried to explain to him that I wouldn't be able to get factory finish etc. He doesn't listen and was disappointed with my efforts. I used silver rattle cans and 1K acrylic lacquer over it.

He now wants the tank painted and doesn't remember the issue with the cowl so I have bought another compressor and air-fed mask so I can spray 2K paints. I've found a supplier who does Yamaha 0660 SM1 (Silver Metallic) basecoat and I can now spray a 2K clear safely over it.

How does this involve Francis? Well I'm going to do the 'tins' on him with that paint to see how it pans out. Not sure if I mentioned it before but the Japan market had a really nice silver paint scheme for the CB125TDE with blue stripes on it and I am going to copy that     
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:34:14 PM by ffoy »

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2017, 11:43:40 PM »
I think those plugs would be my number one priority  ;D. I had one of these bikes many moons ago, it was only 2 or 3 years old at the time. Advertised as a non runner for £70, I expected to see a wreck when I turned up. When I got to the address there was a showroom condition bike on the driveway, I thought the one for sale would be dumped in the garage, but no......it was the one on the driveway. The guy just wanted rid, said he couldn't be bothered with it. I tried to start it but it just wouldn't go, didn't bother messing with it too much as I'd nipped out from work, I paid the guy and removed the battery, told him I'd be back later. Charged the battery at work, bought new set of plugs, got a lift to the guys house, replaced battery, put plugs in and it fired up 8), bargain! Went to start it the next day and it wouldn't start! ::)

Great story Clunker. What was the outcome?

It actually reminds me of something loosely similar...

It's 1988. My rich friend wants to buy a motorcycle about 20 miles away and asks me to come along as I'm experienced (ie I have 2 bikes in bits in my parents' loft). He tells me the type of bike it is (actually I think it was a CB125. It was a Honda. It was blue and it was a 125 but that's all I really remember) so I check the Used Bike Guide (remember that?) for values. We drive to the seller's house in rich friend's Mum's car. Nice presentable bike is there and guy wants a fair price for it but I say 'am afraid the value for it is only blah blah blah' and he seems a bit shocked but believes me and gives it at a much lower price. Rich friend asks me to ride bike back home (I've never ridden a motorcycle before) and I do so feeling like a legend. I get home and re-visit the Used Bike Guide and realise I was looking at the wrong model of CB125 and the guy has been duped although I had no intention of doing it  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal