Author Topic: Francis. The 1987 CB125 TDE (the other dust seal)  (Read 4548 times)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Francis. The 1987 CB125 TDE (new fuel tap O-ring)
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
For those corroded exhaust studs and similarly affected threads I've been using a drill with variable screwdriving clutch to break the corrosion bond.

Specifically I'm not after torque in any quantity so don't use one of the impact driving power tools.

Using a square drive adaptor to get a socket on the drill,  set the clutch really low so that you're not trying to undo the nut. Just use the high speed setting and let the clutch operation just vibrate the fastener,  use it in both directions and just let it run for a while. It may take a few minutes like this and then bring the clutch setting a step higher to continue. It usually gets most things that can be recovered,  I've got out steel screws that are almost one component within a steel base and would usually just snap.

If you use really low clutch torque it doesn't feel like anything much is happening but you have to be patient and just let it run and gently they start to move.

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Nice tip K2-K6. I have a Bosch drill with variable speed/reverse and 'gears' (1 & 2) so might work but access could be tight with engine in frame  :-\
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:14:53 PM by ffoy »

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:43 PM »
They are usually close to the downtubes on most bikes,  I know what you mean.

What I used for them is a drill to 1/4 drive adaptor,  then use a 1/4 extension bar with a barrel shape on the end that goes into the socket. The small diameter will go past most items and the deflection from the barrel end allows some degree of angle to let the socket get straight onto the stud. I've a Bahco 1/4 drive socket set,  tough little thing that will take up to 14mm sockets.

Offline ffoy

• View Profile
Re: Francis. The 1987 CB125 TDE (the other dust seal)
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2017, 02:42:18 PM »
Thanks again for the tips K2-K6. I'll keep you posted on the XJR (another thread for Other Bikes?) but meantime a small update for Francis...

Back in March I found one fork-leg dust-seal. Well another one popped up in Bonny Scotland, on Ebay. So £7 lighter now have a pair and two dealers have one less 'useless' item on their shelves. Is that Feng Shui?  ;)

now have a pair of dust seals. £7.77 inc P&P  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal