Author Topic: power for sat-nav  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: power for sat-nav
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 08:13:29 AM »
Apologies for hijack,
I wonder how much does a phone charger and satnav drew, I was under impression that there is very little spear juice on CB550.

I have fitted a stop/tail LED bulb to save power!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »
I shouldn't think they draw much more than 1amp
Even the 550 can cope with that

my phone charger is 2.1A I imagine that sat nav with big screen be about same.
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
There is easily enough surplus on a cb500 to run an extra stop tail bulb and a 5w sidelight as my sidecar had that much extra lighting, however after being told by a few drivers /  colleuges that theyd nearly forced me off the road thinking I was a solo bike riding out in the middle as the sidelight was so pathetic I tried running a 35 / 40w bulb in the sidecar marker - that was catastrophic in preformance terms. On a 30 mile trip you'd wind up stalling if the indicators or brake light came on. So yes, not a lot of extra power in the system, but enough for a phone charger. I even had oxford heated grips for a year or so, it could cope with them on about 50% of the time if you were moving at a decent pace, on windy b roads or in town the revs tended to be lower and you'd get the telltale misfire, switch off the extra electrical load for a few miles to let the battery recover. I had similar on my first big bike, a 550k3, turned out there were only 2 of the 3 altertator coils working. 30 miles range with lights on then it was wing it with the lights off time. Lights only comming on if a headlight was close by. Fun times crossing the Clywedog dam road by moonlight not dating to let the revs under 3500.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal